Peat Burns

Looking for assistance with the identification of these ammonites from Poland (either Niegowoniec or Odrodzieniec).  Age is late Jurassic; Oxfordian.  OrthosphinctesPerisphinctes?  The best that I can tell, the ribs on the big one are only bifurcate.  Anyone have an idea from which formation they may have come?

@Ludwigia

20200102_113838.thumb.jpg.80d3dba179dead53b5dc8285de6124bb.jpg

20200102_115058.thumb.jpg.663b8ade0501ada9203175638e4c09d5.jpg

@Peat Burns As far as I know, Orthosphinctes never made it into the Oxfordian. The genus is restricted to the Kimmeridgian. And they also generally tend to have tell-tale rib constrictions which are not visible on these two. This is why I'm opting for different Perisphinctes species on these ones. But maybe @caterpillar has a more precise idea?

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

41 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

@Peat Burns As far as I know, Orthosphinctes never made it into the Oxfordian. The genus is restricted to the Kimmeridgian. And they also generally tend to have tell-tale rib constrictions which are not visible on these two. This is why I'm opting for different Perisphinctes species on these ones. But maybe @caterpillar has a more precise idea?

Thank you, Ludwigia.  Much appreciated!

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Looking for assistance with the identification of these ammonites from Poland (either Niegowoniec or Odrodzieniec).  Age is late Jurassic; Oxfordian.  OrthosphinctesPerisphinctes?  The best that I can tell, the ribs on the big one are only bifurcate.  Anyone have an idea from which formation they may have come?

@Ludwigia

20200102_113838.thumb.jpg.80d3dba179dead53b5dc8285de6124bb.jpg

20200102_115058.thumb.jpg.663b8ade0501ada9203175638e4c09d5.jpg

Let me just correct the names of potential locations: Niegowonice or Ogrodzieniec :)

8 hours ago, Kasia said:

Let me just correct the names of potential locations: Niegowonice or Ogrodzieniec :)

That's very helpful.  Correction made on label.  Thank you!

10 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Orthosphinctes is present from upper oxfordian to lower kimmeridgian. But I'm agree with Roger, here is not Orthosphinctes but a Perisphinctidae species.

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Caterpiller is of course correct. I wasn't thinking properly as I made my statement.

Thank you very much!

There are two specimens, which appear to me to have significant differences in whorl profile and ribbing.  Are they both Perisphinctes?  Given European ammonite worker's propensity for splitting, I'd be surprised if they both belong to the same taxon.

Don

Also, here is a link to a paper that may be helpful:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262914111_Taxonomical_revision_of_the_perisphinctid_ammonites_of_the_Upper_Jurassic_Plicatilis_to_Planula_Zones_described_by_Jozef_Siemiradzki_1891_from_the_Krakow_Upland

I hope so, anyway, because I also have some of these ammonites and I would like to be able to put a name to them.

Don