Ontario edrioasteroid identification help!

Monica

Hi again!

This past summer I purchased a small rock with 4 edrioasteroids on it, and I was hoping to get your help in identifying them.  The seller said that the rock is from the Upper Ordovician Verulam Formation in Gamebridge, Ontario, and he/she said that the following 3 species of edrioasteroid are on the rock:

Cryptogoleus chapmani

Isorophusella incondita

Belochthus orthokolus

Can anyone tell me the specific identity of each edrioasteroid?  Thanks so much for your help!

Monica

Photo of the whole rock:

DSC00878.JPG.9c27719d8d448d1634b11a0a1cce9bb0.JPG

The two edrioasteroids on the right side of the rock - one is quite big (we'll call it Specimen #1) and the other is quite small (we'll call is Specimen #2):

DSC00882.thumb.JPG.a52dd8510d4a2f79f22a03168ddcdf37.JPG

The edrioasteroid in the middle of the rock (we'll call it Specimen #3):

DSC00883.thumb.JPG.0a4b825226d9492c9b5a4a8b2b42f96e.JPG

The edrioasteroid on the left side of the rock (we'll call is Specimen #4):

DSC00884.thumb.JPG.de724662a56a09560fa504bc4af58575.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

For

Cryptogoleus chapmani

Isorophusella incondita

See:

See also:

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/e80-064#.Xg42zPx7nIU

For Belochthus orthokolus see:

I invite you to make the decision for each edrio's ID, based on these photos compared to your finds.  [As my physics and math profs always used to say, "The solution to the problem from here is pedestrian.  I leave it to the student to complete the exercise from here and turn in your work."  meaning, "I haven't a clue how to proceed from here; maybe you can figure it out, turn your work in, and show me how it is done."]

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Hi again!

This past summer I purchased a small rock with 4 edrioasteroids on it, and I was hoping to get your help in identifying them.  The seller said that the rock is from the Upper Ordovician Verulam Formation in Gamebridge, Ontario, and he/she said that the following 3 species of edrioasteroid are on the rock:

Cryptogoleus chapmani

Isorophusella incondita

Belochthus orthokolus

Can anyone tell me the specific identity of each edrioasteroid?  Thanks so much for your help!

Monica

Photo of the whole rock:

DSC00878.JPG.9c27719d8d448d1634b11a0a1cce9bb0.JPG

The two edrioasteroids on the right side of the rock - one is quite big (we'll call it Specimen #1) and the other is quite small (we'll call is Specimen #2):

DSC00882.thumb.JPG.a52dd8510d4a2f79f22a03168ddcdf37.JPG

The edrioasteroid in the middle of the rock (we'll call it Specimen #3):

DSC00883.thumb.JPG.0a4b825226d9492c9b5a4a8b2b42f96e.JPG

The edrioasteroid on the left side of the rock (we'll call is Specimen #4):

DSC00884.thumb.JPG.de724662a56a09560fa504bc4af58575.JPG

Hi Monica: On your slab, specimens 1 & 3 "may" be Belochthus, or they may be something else we don't know about yet. Specimen 2 is Cryptogoleus and specimen 4 is Isorophusella. The outer plates around the rim seem to be the easy way to tell them apart. There are likely other small edrio species in the Verulam, but when they are small, they are VERY tough to identify, and they may or may not even be described. This looks like a piece from Mr. Crinus, so maybe he'll weigh in on this as well.

• I found this Informative 3

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Hi Monica,

I am pretty sure you got that from me. It looks familiar.

Left is Isorophusella.  Two in the middle are Belochthus and the far right is Cryptogoleus.

Hope that helps.

Joe

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, crinus said:

Hi Monica,

I am pretty sure you got that from me. It looks familiar.

Left is Isorophusella.  Two in the middle are Belochthus and the far right is Cryptogoleus.

Hope that helps.

Joe

It most definitely helps - thanks! :)

And thanks to you, too, @Northern Sharks:)