Pinnules and echinoid spine?

0lderthandirt

Hello again,

I find these crinoid parts (I think) all the time and just want another opinion on what it is. I think number 1 is crinoid pinnules. Number two is the first and only one of these I've found so far here.(Mississippian redwall limestone, Mooney member). It's about 1/4 inch long and I'm guessing perhaps an echinoid spine? I appreciate any input you guys might offer. Thank you

Bob

5BF5BBA6-4CF9-4FAA-B493-0715E8D95B88.jpeg

16FD58A7-FE3C-4866-9478-75322407ED73.jpeg

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

#1 looks like a bryozoan to me.

along the top edge it looks like bryozoan but the main feature of the rock, just above the number 1, with like two stems and all the little branches? Any idea what kind of bryozoan that might be, it doesn't seem to match anything I can find?

1 hour ago, 0lderthandirt said:

along the top edge it looks like bryozoan but the main feature of the rock, just above the number 1, with like two stems and all the little branches? Any idea what kind of bryozoan that might be, it doesn't seem to match anything I can find?

It's hard to tell just which way the colony was oriented, but I think that it is essentially the axis of it. It's preserved as both an external mold (top), and internal molds (casts) of the zoeciia.

It would surprise me more if you could find an example that looked just like it.

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

zoeciia.

It would surprise me more if you could find an example that looked just like it.

I thought number 1 would be a very common well known "something" and I was embarrassed to even ask. I've probably got 50 examples just in boxes of fossils that I've collected but not examined yet. Number 2 I guess I'll just assume is a echinoid spine until someone says otherwise. 

Thank you for your opinion and for the new word "zoeciia" !

9 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I thought number 1 would be a very common well known "something" and I was embarrassed to even ask. I've probably got 50 examples just in boxes of fossils that I've collected but not examined yet. Number 2 I guess I'll just assume is a echinoid spine until someone says otherwise. 

Oops! I didn't notice the extra i in there. It's zoecia.

13 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

The lack of other opinions does have me wondering.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Oops! I didn't notice the extra i in there. It's zoecia.

lol no worries, it googled just fine. I didn't notice it till you just pointed it out

Just wanted to add another rock I found yesterday that's just packed with this bryozoan for anyone that might be searching for what it is or has an idea of what kind of bryozoan it is.

FF9460FB-718F-4F22-8819-B6E059AAE732.jpeg

85CD4845-A678-4855-A87D-A90B93F7FB29.jpeg

DB6BEB2C-B456-43C9-AB9B-3BF571BF07BB.jpeg

On 1/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, Rockwood said:

#1 looks like a bryozoan to me.

I just found this that I think not only confirms it is bryozoan but I posted a picture a few years ago that matches the top picture here that @FossilDAWG correctly id'ed as bryozoan. I thought the two were related back then too but really didn't know for sure. You guys "rock"!

F6809F66-F9D1-4A94-BEE2-386795B1F5B1.jpeg