Advice on trip to central North Carolina (GMR and other areas)

SallyB

Hi all! I am a newbie here and I've recently become really enchanted by the casual fossil hunting I've been doing in the VA/MD area. And I've really enjoyed reading the forums and posts on here (thanks to everyone for their awesome help/advice/knowledge....it has been really inspiring for this amateur yet eager fossil hunter).

I am about to take a trip down to central NC (Raleigh/Durham area) and my friend and I are hoping to pop over to the Greenville area to hunt on the Greens Mill Run and/or other areas (we are both field biologists so are well prepared for cold weather, nasty conditions, or long treks). Does anyone have any advice on other places in the region to do some fossil hunting? Also, for GMR, can anyone suggest areas of the creek to check out (aka closer to the river or further upstream, areas with access)? Thanks so much for any and all help! Cheers. 

Hi I live in Greenville about 3 1/2 miles from GMR and I also have around 15,000 fossils in my collection at my home museum and I have had a lot of the Fossil Forum members come by to see my collection. PM me, call me at 252-756-8039 or e-mail at powelli1_at_aol.com to talk about your trip and to get info on how to get to my home. Take Care George

Definitely take the time to see George's collection. I've seen it myself and the word awesome is an understatement. As for GMR, there's parking for the greenway off of East 5th Street and to the right from the parking spot is where I followed the trail. When I went back in April 2017 I just walked along until I found an area that looked safe to enter, which had apparently been used before as I found some whale bone that had been left there by the last person. I don't know what the temperature would be like at this time of year, but I'm sure it's significantly colder than April (but still a lot warmer than NH where I live). I encourage you to post photos from your adventure on the Fossil Hunting Trips page on the forum.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

15 hours ago, powelli1 said:

call me at 252-756-8039 or e-mail at powelli1_at_aol.com to talk about your trip and to get info on how to get to my home. Take Care George

It is very imprudent to write your email in a clickable way on a forum because it will be quickly recovered by spammer robots. I advise you to correct quickly, you must write powelli1 (at) aol.com or powelli1-at-aol.com.

Coco
  • I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg