Mosasaur Jaw

Mantelliceras

Hello everyone!

I just bought this fossil and I was wondering if it is real or if it has some kind of reconstruction since I know about all the fakes and composite pieces that come from morocco.

Thank you very much for your help I love how this forum is always so alive and full of content and people willing to share their knowledge with the community.

Best regards

IMG_20200104_161338-min.thumb.jpg.9b4a078c46ce09ef1b4ed510cc3aeea9.jpg

Close look to one tooth:

IMG_20200104_161402-min.thumb.jpg.c37ff258d1ed1e3d18d9bf73c0602afe.jpg

Looks good. Though I do wonder about that last curved tooth since it's so different from the rest. Generally the teeth should become more curved towards the back like it does here. It's just that the change between the last and second to last tooth is a pretty big jump. Some closeups of that might be good just to be sure that last tooth isn't composited.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Per forum rules, we do not offer valuations, and the price you paid is not relevant to the discussion of whether it is a composite or fake.  Thanks for your understanding.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 4/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, aeon.rocks said:

Authentic... It's worth what you payed for. 

Glad to read that, thanks.

20 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks good. Though I do wonder about that last curved tooth since it's so different from the rest. Generally the teeth should become more curved towards the back like it does here. It's just that the change between the last and second to last tooth is a pretty big jump. Some closeups of that might be good just to be sure that last tooth isn't composited.

You are right about that sudden change in shape, I don't see any signs of composite though. Please find attached closeup of the last tooth and thanks for your answer

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Per forum rules, we do not offer valuations, and the price you paid is not relevant to the discussion of whether it is a composite or fake.  Thanks for your understanding.  

I didnt know. Apologies, it won't happen again.

IMG_20200105_134702-min.thumb.jpg.81483116c5fca7e7b2c8ae70a47760e4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1