Feelin' Crabby

Jesuslover340

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Speaking only about Australia here. You can find 'mid' Cretaceous ammonites in the public fossil hunting quarries near Richmond, QLD, but they are actually rather rare.

They are much more common in certain rocks of the Mackunda Formation, but these are largely on private property. Also the Walsh River in northern QLD has produced a great many ammonites, really nice heteromorphs too, although the site is protected. 

Thank you

Cephalopods rule!!

Wow o wow.  I'm late to this thread, but what an amazing haul of crab and ammonite fossils. Those crabs make me very green with envy.  Congratuations and look forward to seeing some after prep.  Those Homolopsis crabs have been on my wish list for a long time.  Now I need to visit Australia in addition to NZ.

5 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Wow o wow.  I'm late to this thread, but what an amazing haul of crab and ammonite fossils. Those crabs make me very green with envy.  Congratuations and look forward to seeing some after prep.  Those Homolopsis crabs have been on my wish list for a long time.  Now I need to visit Australia in addition to NZ.

Im curious why everyone prefers the Homolopsis to Torynomma? Maybe one of the crab collectors here can field that.

im a Hoploparia fan, myself.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Yeah, in reality I would go for either, but the Homolopsis is much cooler and more interesting.  The Homolopsis being a spider crab with all those bumps and spines is just my type of crab.  It would be much more difficult to prep, but I think I could manage....ha ha.  Did one of those NZ spider crabs and it came out very nice.

On 17/01/2020 at 7:28 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

Yeah, in reality I would go for either, but the Homolopsis is much cooler and more interesting.  The Homolopsis being a spider crab with all those bumps and spines is just my type of crab.  It would be much more difficult to prep, but I think I could manage....ha ha.  Did one of those NZ spider crabs and it came out very nice.

So THAT'S why people like Homolopsis. I didn't realize it was one of those spider crabs. But then again, I'm not a crab expert by any means. We were just very lucky this trip out to find so many. You have any photos? I'm enjoying seeing prepped fossil crabs now, haha. 

Just an update: we have finally worked out the nuances for an export permit and now just waiting for approval so we can get them prepped :D

• I found this Informative 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

They'll be off to the prepper @DLB hopefully by the end of this week :D A big thanks to him for cutting us a good deal! It's a lot to take on for anyone, but he has done some excellent specimens for us in the past and we are really happy to have him prep these ones :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

I’m looking forward to seeing T50 done, it was the first crab I ever found.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

20 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

They'll be off to the prepper @DLB hopefully by the end of this week :D A big thanks to him for cutting us a good deal! It's a lot to take on for anyone, but he has done some excellent specimens for us in the past and we are really happy to have him prep these ones :)

Thanks for the kind words. I hope I can live up to them ;)

Sorry for my delay response for a pic.

Here is one of the two NZ spider crabs I prepped 

IMG_2210.thumb.JPG.e97d3c41921dd4330a0690f27979f098.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2020 at 2:43 PM, crabfossilsteve said:

Sorry for my delay response for a pic.

Here is one of the two NZ spider crabs I prepped 

IMG_2210.thumb.JPG.e97d3c41921dd4330a0690f27979f098.JPG

I didn't see this until now :unsure:

Very nice prep! I imagine those bumps to be difficult....

As an update, the crabs have arrived in America. We are just waiting on customs to finish sending them through to @DLB :D

Box one has apparently been delivered.

One to go :D

Edit: both boxes delivered, can breath a sign of relief that they didn’t get lost in transit.

Fun fact.. I bought an item from one state in Australia and had it posted to the neighbouring state.

These fossils went from Australia to America (LA) then up to a different state and have started to arrive. I’m still waiting for the package that stays within Australia to arrive. AusPost is terribly slow :DOH:

Been getting pics as they’re done. Here’s one sample: A5 before and after prep. He’s doing a great job and we’re very pleased :)

CC3D1EB0-765D-4F53-8B35-8A6F2A9A6A36.jpeg

B1EA5507-64A5-4323-81CF-07C579A0A82B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

On 3/20/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ash said:

Been getting pics as they’re done. Here’s one sample: A5 before and after prep. He’s doing a great job and we’re very pleased :)

CC3D1EB0-765D-4F53-8B35-8A6F2A9A6A36.jpeg B1EA5507-64A5-4323-81CF-07C579A0A82B.jpeg

Awesome!!!

Cephalopods rule!!

Thanks guys,

Dont have the species names just yet, will work that out when we have them in hand. Here’s a different one though. For some reason this particular species doesn’t preserve as well as the others. All the ones we found of this were very powdery compared to the others. :headscratch:

ECCA0340-93E2-4D3B-938D-4B3EA65C3278.jpeg

D6B8B902-86B8-4284-925B-89F4CE7EAF94.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

H6 is done :)

We’re very happy with @DLB‘s work and constantly check for new PM’s of updates from him. Such an exciting time.

DLB - we cant thank you enough and we hope your sanity remains intact by the end of all these specimens.

7369D33F-ADA0-4454-BB05-61566D2D9C2D.jpeg

B85CD6D3-44ED-4712-B0A2-D7963C14A88F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

That crab is GORGEOUS!!! :default_faint::drool::wub::envy:

Congrats again on the great finds, and well done @DLB on the amazing prep job!!!

Yes, indeed a beaut of a crab and an excellent prep.  Even the eyeballs are there and great preservation of the shell material.

Thanks everyone :) it’s great seeing them done and finding out what’s hidden in that rock.

2 hours ago, Ash said:

Thanks everyone :) it’s great seeing them done and finding out what’s hidden in that rock.

Wonderful specimens!  It's kind of like opening a Christmas present and finding something you REALLY wanted!  Congrats.

• I found this Informative 1