Mis_identified Small Molar

Shellseeker

Most times when hunting, I find fossils that I know, and very few unknowns. In rare instances, I am finding multiple fossils that I do not recognize immediately. I usually pay far more attention to the far more stunning fossils, and ignore those I "think" I know or those that are just "odd". 

I mis_identified this 1st entry as a juvenile tapir tooth.  Here is an opportunity to ID this fossil before @Harry Pristis sees this post.  Harry has a gallery photo that highlights this 14-15 mm Florida Fossil. I wanted to point out how easy it is, even for the experienced fossil hunter to get it wrong.

Molar1.JPG.ce499d68d4342700e2bf3a270a534341.JPGMolar2.JPG.eba91e4d7e0dfec2ad0275ba3e2a8cb7.JPGMolar3.JPG.16bfa310a92c3ea176f49edeb6df441f.JPG

On the same day,  I picked up this fossil, almost tossed it, and then thought "unusual texture", and toss it into the collection bag. I do not know what it is... but now I am thinking  claw. There seems to be a slight "connecting "ring" on photos 1 and 2, and some wear on the tip in photo #3. Originally thought some type of deer tine.

Unknown3.JPG.2adb7d6d6605a31158f22f64191192c8.JPGUnknown2.JPG.386df6c377560e52947bd64d0c795fb3.JPG

Unknown1.JPG.7fee55a69e68d823ff89289b6acb7c86.JPG

As always, suggestions & comments greatly appreciated.    Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Mylohyus fossilis for no.1?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

5 hours ago, Scylla said:

Turtle spur? Just a guess

5 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I'm guessing infant American Mastodon for number 1?

4 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Mylohyus fossilis for no.1?

All excellent potential IDs,  Thanks very much for the responses, but it is not turtle, mastodon, or Mylohyus!!

I was kind of hoping that Harry would see and comment/identify. Harry managed to Identify this fossil in a TFF post 10 years ago.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

All excellent potential IDs,  Thanks very much for the responses, but it is not turtle, mastodon, or Mylohyus!!

I was kind of hoping that Harry would see and comment/identify. Harry managed to Identify this fossil in a TFF post 10 years ago.

So, what is it? I read the thread and didn't notice any positive ID made.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

So, what is it? I read the thread and didn't notice any positive ID made.

Apology, I thought I could "see" this one as a Trichechus manatus molar. Unlike Harry, who hunts North Florida, these manatee teeth are a rarity in SW Florida where I hunt.

Harry's post

I think it may be a small, relatively-unworn manatee tooth, perhaps a lower. If I knew for certain that it is a manatee tooth, it wouldn't be so interesting. It's the not-knowing that keeps us searching.

Here is Harry's photo: The tooth on the left is likely 15x14 mm, same size as my find.

TrichechusMolarsized.JPG.cd1b807522ebc8603418192bb30f58e0.JPG

A couple of more photos from Harry's TFF Gallery. large.gallery_42_6_131216.jpg.7d90c5aee7526c4656a285f0cb65d751.jpg.09d083437d53308773a5ca5425a71997.jpgTrichechusMolar2.JPG.1e03d0cdf6df511208e8f3ca4ad811f6.JPG

thank you

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!