Unprepped fossil buy

Roby

Went to a fossil garage sale, were the person was selling off his collection, this fall with low expectation.  Found what turned out to be a very nice specimen of a Devonian Crinoid after prepping it out.  My friend Tom W. tells me it is more than likely an Arthrocantha carpenteri.  Wish I knew what quarry it came from, it wasn't labeled.

5e12abac6df04_CrinoidArthrocanthacarpenteri.thumb.JPG.def0cc15051e517ee89a4e5d989a0319.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Nice job on this. :) 

Did you have any before pictures?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 hours ago, Roby said:

Went to a fossil garage sale, were the person was selling off his collection, this fall with low expectation.  Found what turned out to be a very nice specimen of a Devonian Crinoid after prepping it out.  My friend Tom W. tells me it is more than likely an Arthrocantha carpenter.  Wish I knew what quarry it came from, it wasn't labeled.

5e12abac6df04_CrinoidArthrocanthacarpenteri.thumb.JPG.def0cc15051e517ee89a4e5d989a0319.JPG

Awesome!  The detail on it is crazy!

Cheers,

Rich

Sorry, no before pictures.  Only the far left edge, top damage and the stem was sticking out of the bottom.  Luckily the shale was more claylike than shale. No air abrasion was needed just a soft tooth brush for final cleanup.  All pin vise work for detail.

• I found this Informative 1

That is a beautiful specimen and quite the good job of prep work. How many hours did you put into it?

As for stratigraphy, I would venture a guess of either Silica formation or Arkona formation if the rock was that soft. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

:default_faint:
Wonderful specimen! Nice prep work! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I agree with everyone else in that it is a great looking specimen, and that a guess of either Silica or Arkona formation seems quite likely. One correction though, the species is carpenteri, not carpenter.

• I found this Informative 2

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Purty dang nice garage sale!   Only one question,  What is with the rest of the slab, it looks like it was cut on a machine? 

RB

Beautiful specimen! :wub: :wub: :wub:  @Nimravis posted a lot of material from what I guess was the same "garage sale".  I'm envious of the fantastic material you guys scored!

I agree with the suggested ID and provenance of your specimen.

Don

50 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Beautiful specimen! :wub: :wub: :wub:  @Nimravis posted a lot of material from what I guess was the same "garage sale".  I'm envious of the fantastic material you guys scored!

I agree with the suggested ID and provenance of your specimen.

Don

I checked pictures that I took of items that I did not buy, but could not find one. I am pretty sure that he was at the same sale and I am 99% sure that I saw this piece and left it- I am no prepper.

Prep time was some where between 40 and 55 hours.  And cost three pin vise chisels due to being too aggressive.  First time trying to avoid bad habits.  The plate was mixed with other minerals chunks and fossils unrelated to this one.  Their intent was to sell specimens in lots.  From the fossil surface it does looked cut but look at the edge it is rough and uneven.  I'm thinking it was partially cut but the plate had different ideas.  The species has been corrected, thanks.

Can i assume Silica and Arkona formations encompose Sylvania OH?

35 minutes ago, Roby said:

Can i assume Silica and Arkona formations encompose Sylvania OH?

The Silica Shale is exposed in the quarries at Sylvania OH, and the Arkona Shale is exposed at sites along the Ausable River near Arkona Ontario.  While the two formations are not exact correlates, they share a number of species including Arthrocantha carpenteri

Don

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...

:megdance::envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg