What are these?

KingSepron

They were bought for me alongside a bunch of sand shark teeth and an ammonite and an arioneceras (labelled Orthoceras)

Fossil1.JPG

I agree with partial Myliobatid teeth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

My use of STING ray dental pavement was not purposeful at the time but more of a generalized statement. However the followup postings got me to going online to better understand. What I have seen is that indeed these pieces are from an Eagle Ray- myliobatus but further it refers to it as a sting ray! So maybe not an incorrect statement after all? Can you tell you caught me in a mood. But just trying to be clear.:shrug:

3 hours ago, fossilnut said:

My use of STING ray dental pavement was not purposeful at the time but more of a generalized statement. However the followup postings got me to going online to better understand. What I have seen is that indeed these pieces are from an Eagle Ray- myliobatus but further it refers to it as a sting ray! So maybe not an incorrect statement after all? Can you tell you caught me in a mood. But just trying to be clear.:shrug:

I think I have it figured out. 

Eagle rays can sting but they missed out on the name because they are less likely to be where the get stepped on.

So, I'm uninformed and want to get smarter.  What distinguishes Eagle Ray pavement teeth from the more generic "sting ray" teeth?  Oh yea, and what are the other options for the more generic term and how do you distinguish the other options from one another?  Does anyone have a website that is a good guide for distinguishing the various types of "stingray" teeth?

• I found this Informative 1

It's true that most, if not all, rays have stings but Dasyatis (teeth shown here) and its allies are most commonly called sting rays and myliobatids (original post) and their allies are most commonly called eagle rays. And there are many other kinds of rays as well.

Dasyatis1.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

This is the problem with using common names. Not being a snob here but it is certainly less vague to use a scientific name when discussing fossils. No problem at all using a common name like "ray teeth" if one doesn't know the specifics. I'm personally befuddled by the various common names of the carcharhinus sharks. It's like having to translate back and forth between two languages. Guess it works the same with those using only common names. To each his own I suppose...

I think that fossilnut's ID is generally accurate and the replies should have been identifying the ray more specifically instead of hinting that "sting ray" was wrong. I didn't see any undue criticism in the replies of course and they certainly were educational to everyone reading this string.

• I found this Informative 2

30 minutes ago, Plax said:

. Not being a snob here but it is certainly less vague to use a scientific name when discussing fossils.

What if you don't realize that you have googled a common name.

Aside from the obvious inference that is. :wacko:

On 1/8/2020 at 6:03 PM, grandpa said:

what are the other options for the more generic term and how do you distinguish the other options from one another?  Does anyone have a website that is a good guide for distinguishing the various types of "stingray" teeth?

I appreciate all of the comments above up to my previous quarry.  They are well taken.  But still, my quoted question remains (I believe) unanswered.  This, I think would be a helpful question to have answered for all the members of TFF (at least at my level of understanding.)  Sorry if I have missed the answer to the question or if I seem persistent; I just think that the answer to the question has value to the forum in general, not just me.):zzzzscratchchin:

14 hours ago, grandpa said:

I appreciate all of the comments above up to my previous quarry.  They are well taken.  But still, my quoted question remains (I believe) unanswered.  This, I think would be a helpful question to have answered for all the members of TFF (at least at my level of understanding.)  Sorry if I have missed the answer to the question or if I seem persistent; I just think that the answer to the question has value to the forum in general, not just me.):zzzzscratchchin:

I think we covered it all but to reiterate:

1. What distinguishes Eagle Ray pavement teeth from the more generic "sting ray" teeth? 

Myliobatid teeth ("eagle ray teeth") are generally a lot wider than deep, hexagonal in occlusal view, and have roots with many, evenly-spaced, parallel grooves (as seen on the original post). Dasyatid teeth ("sting ray teeth") are much tinier, the crowns are sub-rhomboid in shape, and the root has only one separation splitting it in two (as seen in my least post).

2. What are the other options for the more generic term and how do you distinguish the other options from one another? 

The generic terms are confusing and overlapping, so best to go with ray teeth or use the scientific terms (see Plax above).

3. Does anyone have a website that is a good guide for distinguishing the various types of "stingray" teeth?

www.elasmo.com (see Searcher78 above)

• I found this Informative 1