Yan11

Hi guys,

Last week I was on a vacation in Balchik on the northern coast of the black sea and I visited a small fossil site there. It's a small shoreline littered with mudstone and limestone (I think). Previously there I have been finding bones of sea mammals but this time I found something even more interesting... From what I can tell it's a feather. I just wanted to ask you if you can confirm that it's a feather. I was also wandering if there is anyway that it is a modern birds feather somehow imprinted on the fallen rock.

Happy New Year to everyone !!!

Screenshot_20200106-225355.png

Screenshot_20200106-225401.png

Screenshot_20200106-225406.png

Screenshot_20200106-225410.png

Screenshot_20200106-225414.png

13 minutes ago, Yan11 said:

I was also wandering if there is anyway that it is a modern birds feather somehow imprinted on the fallen rock.

It would have to happen in a place where travertine could form. A cave or sheltered overhang for instance. It's hard for me to imagine it being preserved this well under most of those circumstances though.

Nice Find!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

11 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Looks very nice. There should be complete birds then?

Thanks,

And....well....now there are about 600+ kilometers from me to that bird (if it exists) sooo... Guess we will never know

I find it hard to believe a feather could survive such a beach. Could it be a modern stain on the rock. I agree that it looks a whole lot like a feather, however. Strange!

Could the undulating look in the center actually be seeds in a grass plant ?

You know, like as in amber waves of grain.

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Could the undulating look in the center actually be seeds in a grass plant ?

You know, like as in amber waves of grain.

Yeah, at first I also thought of that but on a closer inspection I can't identify any sine of that.

Those dots on the picture somewhat resemble seeds but looking at the actual specimen I wouldn't say so.

Then again I haven't seen many fossils of grass seeds.