Partial Daspletosaurus tooth?

The_bro87

I just got this tooth in the mail today. It’s a partial tyrannosaur tooth, and it’s from the Judith river formation. I know it was found in Montana, but that’s it for locality. Despite it being partial, it’s approximate 1.25 inches long, and it looks to me like it would have been much larger if complete. I know that Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus teeth are indistinguishable, and that you can really only call teeth around 3.5 inches Daspletosaurus. I was wondering if it would be safe to assume that this is a partial Daspletosaurus tooth because the small piece I have is already over an inch, and it looks to me like it could easily have extended an additional 2 inches. 

7872E938-816A-4288-8D88-E6B0D63C8694.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Nope its indeterminate.   Not enough there to say much.  No reason your tip could be a Gorgosaurus.  In addition Daspletosaurus has yet to be described from the JRF.

Thank you both for the guide and the explanation. I’ll definitely look back at this in the future.