River find in Arkansas river

Drizzt0000

Ya but bison ran the plains here so could be old but not fossilized. Just hoping for someone to id it as bison or cow

7 minutes ago, Drizzt0000 said:

Also I just did the tongue test it does not stick to it at all

I thought that was only for coprolites. :D

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Nah thought it was for all bone as bone that is not a fossil is porous and will stick to your tongue. Fossils are not porous 

18 minutes ago, Drizzt0000 said:

Also I just did the tongue test it does not stick to it at all

So did it taste like a rock or nasty decay? :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It's more fun to get neophytes to lick poop and watch their faces. I should have taken pictures, but that would have made the reason too obvious.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

To me this appears more like a cow jaw. The picture I have attached are of a modern bison (top) and a cow (bottom). I know they are from somewhat different sized animals, but one thing I think you can see is the shape and angle of the coronoid process (the part sticking up in front of the jaw/skull articulation). In bison, the angle with the tooth line is more obtuse and the coronoid process has a more swept back look. The equivalent part if the cow mandible is more upright. To me, yours looks more cow-like. I can’t see your teeth clearly enough in the pictures but there are some subtle differences there that may also help.  Go to @Harry Pristis gallery and you will find some photos specifically comparing bison and cow teeth. That’s my two cents. 

135CB2CD-77D3-440B-8C46-5A6B60B1E7E9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I found this bison tooth past summer.  Notice the stylid.  

image.png.e7f4369728283e1cfeaa6a9e20d5bc51.png

From an external source: 

When the stylid is isolated you can have pretty high confidence in "bison" and rule out cow. When the stylid is attached you can have pretty high confidence in cow and rule out bison. Here's a bison molar with an isolated stylid. It's attached to the tooth by cementum but not actually joined to the main cusps.
BisonMolarisolatedstylid.jpg

28 minutes ago, Creek - Don said:

I found this bison tooth past summer.  Notice the stylid.  

From an external source: 

When the stylid is isolated you can have pretty high confidence in "bison" and rule out cow. When the stylid is attached you can have pretty high confidence in cow and rule out bison. Here's a bison molar with an isolated stylid. It's attached to the tooth by cementum but not actually joined to the main cusps.

Don't put too much confidence in the website where you read about the stylids.  Every one of 'em merges with the main body of the crown when worn down far enough.  These jaws are individually variable.  At one time, I believed the isolated stylids were more important to distinguishing between bison and cow.  Now, I think that clue is more subtle than frank size.  Of course, context of the find is also important.

bison_bos_m3_B.JPG

bison_m3_pairB.JPG

bison_m3_pairC.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest