Paleoworld-101

Marine Reptile Bone Collection from Lyme Regis and Charmouth (England)

Tidgy's Dad

Nice finds! 

Brings back so many happy memories of searching these beaches. :)

LiamL

Brilliant finds, me and my friend are going for the first time this weekend.

FossilNerd

Very cool! I just watched a documentary the other day about the Ichthyosaur in that area. It was regarding a new species (at the time) that was discovered. Nice to know that “regular people” can find some nice Ichthyosaur pieces too! Those articulated verts are beauties! 

RuMert

Very nice collection, especially the skull sphenoid bone and the rostrum with teeth:envy:

Allosaurus

Very cool fossils. 

Paleoworld-101
On 09/01/2020 at 1:57 AM, LiamL said:

Brilliant finds, me and my friend are going for the first time this weekend.

Good luck! Are you mainly after bones or invertebrates? 

LiamL
16 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Good luck! Are you mainly after bones or invertebrates? 

Will be bones, but as its my first time i’ll be collecting a selection of different things.

Vieira

Amazing fossils. Thanks for sharing :fistbump:

Jeff11

That is a really decent haul for 4 days on those beaches - Congratulations! I'm guessing the trips were not during the summer when the beaches are really busy? 

Paleoworld-101
6 hours ago, Jeff11 said:

That is a really decent haul for 4 days on those beaches - Congratulations! I'm guessing the trips were not during the summer when the beaches are really busy? 

It was across 4 separate "trips", but each trip consisted of 4-6 consecutive days of collecting, so all up these were found across 18 individual days of looking. Some of those days I found multiple bones, some days I found none. It's quite variable. And yes, all of this collecting was in or near the winter months. There's still always been others collecting on the beach each day I've been there, sometimes more than 30 people I would guess, but I imagine the crowds are much bigger in summer. 

RuMert

Anyway it's good even for 18 days. I didn't find any rostrum fragments in years (but dozens of verts)

Paleoworld-101
1 hour ago, RuMert said:

Anyway it's good even for 18 days. I didn't find any rostrum fragments in years (but dozens of verts)

Funnily enough just about all of my rostrum fragments were found amongst the large boulders that sit below the tide line, which are only exposed at low tide. I tend to find the verts amongst the dry shingle higher up the beach, but the rostrum bits are further out between the wet seaweed covered boulders and rock pools. I'm sure there is no actual correlation but that's just how it's been for me.  

RuMert

I think the correlation is that higher places are more picked over;)

Paleoworld-101
12 minutes ago, RuMert said:

I think the correlation is that higher places are more picked over;)

You'd think so, but then you still regularly see verts in those picked over areas that are just as obvious, and sitting in plain sight. Like the large plesiosaur vert in my first post, that as-found pic was from at the top of the beach in a spot that heaps of people would have walked over. I'm certainly not complaining lol but it shows that just about anything can still be found anywhere, despite the sites popularity.  

Ash

Good post mate, I like the rostrum bit with the teeth. Wish ya had of got that fish you were hoping for :D

Paleoworld-101
5 hours ago, Ash said:

Good post mate, I like the rostrum bit with the teeth. Wish ya had of got that fish you were hoping for :D

Thanks! I know! Why i am able to find all these marine reptile bones but as of yet haven't found a single bit of fish is puzzling. Next time i go, i think my goal is going to be a Dapedium, even if it is just a flank of scales. The complete examples are absolutely stunning though. 

Ash

They’re usually really black shiny scales from this locale, ain’t they?

Paleoworld-101
9 minutes ago, Ash said:

They’re usually really black shiny scales from this locale, ain’t they?

Yeah, really attractive specimens i think! Fingers crossed for next time. I don't expect something as magnificent as this but even just a section of articulated scales/flank that i could prep myself would be nice to have. 

L.2013.10.jpg

Ash

Deep bodied fish.. I like it. Go find a Leedsicthys