Looking for tent camping spot in MD

lukky

Now that my boys are getting older and enjoying hunting for sharks teeth a little bit more frequently, I would like to tie it in with an over night camping trip.

We have been to Calvert Cliffs and Brownies Beach and they really enjoyed themselves.  

We are willing to park and hike a few miles to a location.  It does not have to be a pull up, park and camp (I'd actually prefer it not be that).  

Both Hipcamp.com and Airbnb.com have camping options.  :-)  It would be great if you can find someone who is involved with fossil hunting in that area.

I'm in Minnesota and have met many wonderful people who love to fossil hunt through Airbnb and Hipcamp. I have one camping spot in back of the horse pasture next to the woods. I have gardens of fossils labeled, a portion of my barn is for fossil displays and prepping, I sell maps for people to go out and find their own fossils, and I provided guided fossil hunts for a very reasonable fee.

Perhaps there is someone in that area that is already doing something similar. So much FUN to meet other fossil enthusiasts!  :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

9 hours ago, lukky said:

Now that my boys are getting older and enjoying hunting for sharks teeth a little bit more frequently, I would like to tie it in with an over night camping trip.

We have been to Calvert Cliffs and Brownies Beach and they really enjoyed themselves.  

We are willing to park and hike a few miles to a location.  It does not have to be a pull up, park and camp (I'd actually prefer it not be that).  

Matoaka beach cabins in St Leonard has camping. Right on the cliff. Short walk to the beach. Head north (left) at the beach. Not far from flag ponds park. Which is a bit better than calvert cliffs  state park. About 20 minutes south of north beach Chesapeake beach area. Pretty much puts you in the middle of everywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Searcher78 said:

Matoaka Cabins is also the only place I know of. I do love the short walk to the beach.

If you're interested in shells like the ecphora or in crab and fish fossils and not bothered by a lack of shark teeth (a few nice makos and croc teeth sometimes) I'd recommend the campground in Chesapeake Ranch Club in Lusby. Its got a decent shower house and you can ask for beach passes to access their private beaches. I would recommend driftwood beach to anyone interested in miocene seashells. I believe the beds are roughly 6 to 8mya. I have found shark verts and other fossils as well but the ecphora is the main attraction there. Great preservation and a variety of fish fossils as well.

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, lukky said:

I've found a lot of great fossils along calvert 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

66930376_339132290346949_1617222132322795520_o.jpg

41843233_1950446728349039_7456931913056387072_o.jpg

50236704_2117740848286292_3810167708503244800_o.jpg

11 hours ago, b. bartron said:

If you're interested in shells like the ecphora or in crab and fish fossils and not bothered by a lack of shark teeth (a few nice makos and croc teeth sometimes) I'd recommend the campground in Chesapeake Ranch Club in Lusby. Its got a decent shower house and you can ask for beach passes to access their private beaches. I would recommend driftwood beach to anyone interested in miocene seashells. I believe the beds are roughly 6 to 8mya. I have found shark verts and other fossils as well but the ecphora is the main attraction there. Great preservation and a variety of fish fossils as well.

Nice to know.  Always looking for new places.

When I visit that area I camp either at Cedarville State Forest or Smallwood State Park. Both have nice drive up campgrounds. Smallwood is about 15 minutes from the Potomac Paleocene Aquia Formation sites. Cedarville is about forty minutes from Bayfront Park and about the same to the Potomac sites. Camping at Cedarville I've been able to visit both areas in one day. Hope this helps. Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 1

Breezy Point Campgrounds is only 5-10 minute drive to Bayfront park. You will want sand stakes otherwise your tent may fly away. Literally, it is not called Breezy Point for nothing.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.