Need ID on Myrtle Beach fossil (strange small head?)

PSchleis

Ok, here's a weird thing I found on Myrtle Beach walking this morning. At first I thought it might be a piece of shell with a couple of holes bored through it, but on closer inspection, the holes are very symmetrical and there are distinct and deliberate markings on the underside.

I can't find a coin to save my life, so just know this thing would not quite cover a dime.

I'm not an expert and I don't mean to say it's definitely a head, but for lack of words, I'm going to describe it that way so you know what I'm talking about...

There are two "eye sockets" that enter at the front and exit on either side. There is a small nose-like protrusion in the front between the sockets. The "head" is dome shaped and textured with vertical lines.

The underside has symmetrical markings on either side. (The photo shows the underside with the "nose" pointed up."

I've also included a side photo showing a small reed pushed through the eye socket and side hole.

I have compared this to sea robin head fragments I have and I don't see any similarities other than the fact that there are holes that start at the front and exit at the side.

Ideas?

Thanks! Paula

head1.png

head2.png

head3.png

head4.png

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Could the holes be foramen in the remnant of a vertebra ?

I've only found a handful of vertebra and they only ever had one hole, so it doesn't look like that to me. It's such an odd little piece. 

1 hour ago, PSchleis said:

I've only found a handful of vertebra and they only ever had one hole, so it doesn't look like that to me. It's such an odd little piece. 

A quick check of my moose (modern) vert. confirms two, laterally placed. 

Just a thought, but it reminds me of what are called "Bonito nose" fossils. 

Have a look at these. 

It might look like yours if the side "wings" were worn off. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 1/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Just a thought, but it reminds me of what are called "Bonito nose" fossils. 

Have a look at these. 

It might look like yours if the side "wings" were worn off. 

Thanks, Tim! The piece I have has a very round dome, and the bonito noses look relatively flat. But the placement of the hole are interesting and makes me think these might be some kind of nostril holes as opposed to eye holes. The search goes on!

back of a bony fish skull for me. they come in a variety of shapes and sizes depending on which fish and were called basi-occipitals at one time. The condition that produces them may be similar to tilley stone formation I'm not sure.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Pachycephalosalmon ;)

I will never be able to get the image out of my mind. Thanks :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!