Jaw ID - Mosasaur

magicalmrmerlin

I aquired this some time ago. Perhaps you guys can assist. Clearly it is a little jaw section. the length is 14cm. No sign of plaster, teeth do not appear to be set in separately and clearly no heavy restoration.Very little information on location unfortunately.

It appears to to be some sort of Mosasaur. My guess at the time was a Prognatodon of some description. I am ready to be corrected on everything though.

DSCF1125.JPG

Looks like a Halisaurus right maxilla. Probably Halisaurus arambourgi. Typical Khouribga, Morocco Mosasaur jaw.

It's a very rough prep. Parts of the bone surface have been damaged a bit (the white areas). But all the teeth look genuine. I don't see any sign of any tampering here. Granted, this is just one photo and ideally I'd like to see better closeup photos, especially of the tooth and root areas.

But from just this picture I'd say this jaw has not been composited at all. Looks genuine. All the teeth seem to be consistent. They have the same curvature. The jaw bone also looks to be mostly complete.

Even with the slight surface damage, this jaw looks pretty good since it still has a good number of it's teeth.

Here's an example of a Halisaurus right maxilla from my collection for reference.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Just now, LordTrilobite said:

s

I am not great at closeups with my camera but perhaps this is a little better.

DSCF1126.JPG

3 minutes ago, magicalmrmerlin said:

I am not great at closeups with my camera but perhaps this is a little better.

DSCF1126.JPG

Still kinda hard to see. Perhaps sunlight will help.

If any, the 3rd and 4th teeth in this picture look a little bit iffy. Could be damage, or some matrix crust or perhaps those were composited after all.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I will take a picture in natural light over the weekend. There is no plaster coming off of this whatsoever. That is the one thing I am fairly sure of. To my less than expert eye It looks there like some damage to several of the teeth, but they do not seem to be fixed in place. Then again I am always ready to be surprised (in a negative way) when it comes to some of this Moroccan stuff.

Many thanks for your help.

hi guy s

like said lord of trilobite , right maxillary of halisaurus arambourgii, maestrichian couche 3 , location sidi daoui - oued zem , morocco.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...