Gators40

Seminole County fossil hunting

Gators40

I’m new to fossil hunting, any suggestions on areas around Seminole County Fl, any advice would be appreciated .

Shellseeker

Welcome to TFF.  If you are interested in fossils, LOTS of kindred spirits here. When I started in fossil hunting, I wanted to tap into the experience, knowledge , and locations of some of the savviest hunters in my area!!! So, I joined my local fossil club.  You can do the same:

https://floridafossilhunters.com/field-trip/

Look at those field trips!!! They even bring you to MY favorite hunting grounds  :wub: The Peace River!! It take me a little over 2 hours 15 minutes to reach my favorite hunting spots.

I am still working to get into the 3 inch Mako club.

This one from last September came close. It only took me 10 years , but I am still looking.

Mako_hc.JPG.a67ff3745b99b20f04628bbfe12e7aad.JPG

As an aside, you could extend your knowledge of Florida Fossils, Make sure you are on the TFF home page, go to that search button in upper right, and search for anything like "Florida Mako".   Enjoy

PODIGGER

Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately, I too am from south of you in Florida and my favorite hunting spots are on the Peace River.  I would encourage you to follow Shellseeker's advice and join the local/closest fossil club to learn about your options for fossils sites nearby.

Sacha

I'm a member of the Tampa Bay fossil club and this coming Wednesday I am going on a field trip to the CEMEX quarry in Center Hill, FL. These opportunities only come from club memberships so make sure you join the Orlando club and the Tampa club. Go on a guided trip with Fred Mazza to the Peace when the water goes down and you will learn everything you need to head off on your own.

Shellseeker
2 hours ago, Sacha said:

I'm a member of the Tampa Bay fossil club and this coming Wednesday I am going on a field trip to the CEMEX quarry in Center Hill, FL. These opportunities only come from club memberships so make sure you join the Orlando club and the Tampa club. Go on a guided trip with Fred Mazza to the Peace when the water goes down and you will learn everything you need to head off on your own.

Good advice from John.  I also joined multiple Fossil Clubs.  WHY = field trips, field trips, field trips... I have seen Fred Mazza on the Peace River 5-6 times this year,  just sign up and show up... The primary "gift" is that , after going with Fred, you know about at least one good fossil location. :thumbsu:

Gators40
10 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Welcome to TFF.  If you are interested in fossils, LOTS of kindred spirits here. When I started in fossil hunting, I wanted to tap into the experience, knowledge , and locations of some of the savviest hunters in my area!!! So, I joined my local fossil club.  You can do the same:

https://floridafossilhunters.com/field-trip/

Look at those field trips!!! They even bring you to MY favorite hunting grounds  :wub: The Peace River!! It take me a little over 2 hours 15 minutes to reach my favorite hunting spots.

I am still working to get into the 3 inch Mako club.

This one from last September came close. It only took me 10 years , but I am still looking.

Mako_hc.JPG.a67ff3745b99b20f04628bbfe12e7aad.JPG

As an aside, you could extend your knowledge of Florida Fossils, Make sure you are on the TFF home page, go to that search button in upper right, and search for anything like "Florida Mako".   Enjoy

Ok I will check that out, thanks for the advice.

Gators40

Thanks everyone I will look into the clubs ASAP 

Bone Daddy

I see you are up pretty close to Orlando and the Atlantic coast. I know a guy who lives in Titusville and he uses his kayak to reach spoil islands. He finds some nice stuff from time to time, but I don't recall exactly where he goes.

Gators40

Ok I will check that out, not sure exactly where spoil islands are?

jcbshark
6 hours ago, Gators40 said:

Ok I will check that out, not sure exactly where spoil islands are?

Where they dump dredge material from the ICW:)

Gators40

Does anyone know if there are any spots like that near Titusville?