Gastropods - Clockwise vs Counter Clockwise

turtlefoot

This might be a subject that might have been discussed before.  If it has, I am sorry.  I was looking at a rock that I found that has multiple flat gastropods in the matrix.  I noticed that some spiral clockwise and other spiral counter clockwise.  I have done a little research on this and I am confused.  Some sites talk about the different spiraling depends on whether it was north or south of the equator.  Another site talks about one being a gastropod fossil and the other being a gastropod like fossil.  This is not the case of a fossil and a mirrored imprint.  Do I have two different species here or is it just a variation (similar to color variations on certain herps)? 

left.jpg

right.jpg

I think in this case, both spiral the same direction but one is viewed from the top and the other from the bottom.

• I found this Informative 4

It could be as Al has said - opposite views of the same species. 

But sinistral (left) and and dextral (right) are known to exist. 

Here is a paper about a recent example.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Check out Maclurites. It is a gastropod from the Ordovician that spirals "backwards"  compared to Liospira which spiral in a normal direction. Both are very flat gastropods common in Ordovician rock.

27-Mac-crassus-front-300x229.jpgLiospira.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I have to ask -- spiral from the center out or from the outer end in? Is left the same as counterclockwise and right is clockwise?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!