Ramona

I continue to be amazed at the plethora of fossils in our yard, so I tried an experiment.  I raked up some rocks that were around a tree in our front yard and half filled a five gallon bucket with them.  I figure that some of them were brought in as decorative rocks, but to test that theory I grabbed two from the top at random.  I cleaned them with vinegar and water and then photographed them with my macro lens.  They are at least a different type of rock than I am used to seeing (not all of these are different, but those two were).  I mostly see limestone, but I will post photos of these in the comments.  They look like quartz to me?  Or are they a different type of limestone?  And maybe I am imaging it, but I think I am seeing some crinoids and bryozoans in them?  If no one else sees them I will circle what I THINK are fossils for further verification.  

Is it odd to find an area so rich in fossils?  Or am I odd in that I am looking so closely for them, LOL?  I guess since this area was once covered in water, it is likely "normal" to find bryozoans and crinoids everywhere I look, right?

Thanks for all input!  I learn so much here!  (And I won't be surprised to hear that the following photos really ARE rocks that were likely brought in as decorative, LOL!)

Ramona

IMG_20200109_103607845.jpg

Here is one of the rocks that I pulled off of the top of the bucket.  Does anyone else see fossils here or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Thanks!
Ramona

IMG_9155edit.jpg

Sorry, Ramona, but I am not seeing any fossils here.  :( 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sorry, Ramona, but I am not seeing any fossils here.  :( 

That is completely possible!  Let me magnify that I thought might be fossils and see what you think. What type of rock does this look like to you, also?  Thanks for your input!

Ramona

IMG_9155edita.jpg

Well, I'm not completely batty yet, LOL!!  Just pulled this out of the yard while digging a fence post up.  There are definite fossils in that thar' rock!  ;-)

Blessings
Ramona

IMG_9165edit.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The first block is indeed just mineral, no fossils to be found
This block on the other hand contains bryozoa & crinoid stem fragments if I see it right

• I found this Informative 3

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

2 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

The first block is indeed just mineral, no fossils to be found
This block on the other hand contains bryozoa & crinoid stem fragments if I see it right

OK, thanks for taking the time to look at them for me!  
Ramona

The second one is definitely fossil-rich. Find more of this source rock! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

The second one is definitely fossil-rich. Find more of this source rock! :) 

It is all over my yard!  ;-)  Except for the first rock that started this thread, of course, LOL!

Just to be sure, drip some vinegar essence or some other weak acid on that first rock. If it fizzes, then it's probably calcite. If it doesn't fizz, then it's probably quartz.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Just to be sure, drip some vinegar essence or some other weak acid on that first rock. If it fizzes, then it's probably calcite. If it doesn't fizz, then it's probably quartz.

No fizzies - must be quartz.  Thanks for the hint!

Ramona

If you have a lot of specimens like that one with the huge mix of fossils, you might take one of the "worse" ones and soak it in vinegar overnight. If the matrix is limestone and the fossils are silicified, the acid will react with the matrix and remove it leaving the fossils intact because the acid can't react with silicate material.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 1/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

If you have a lot of specimens like that one with the huge mix of fossils, you might take one of the "worse" ones and soak it in vinegar overnight. If the matrix is limestone and the fossils are silicified, the acid will react with the matrix and remove it leaving the fossils intact because the acid can't react with silicate material.

I have two specimens bubbling now!  Will post the results!  They aren't bubbling fast, but here and there.  Time will tell!

On 1/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

I realized this morning that I was not using ESSENCE of vinegar, so I am going to order some of that to use.  Even with the weakened solution I can see a bit of a difference, though.  This sample is still wet.  I look forward to getting the real stuff in so I can REALLY tell a difference!  Thanks again!

IMG_9196edit.jpg

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

When you are finished make sure its rinsed with water quite well or the acid will continue to react.

OK, will do!  Thanks!