Micro matrix of Rattlesnake Creek

Bobby Rico

Last year I was given some cool micro matrix from Rattlesnake Creek ,I think the age is Miocene thought to Pleistocene. It was generously given to me by the amazing @GeschWhat thanks Lori. I have only just gone through the matrix and I was not disappointed. The micro matrix was packed full of shark, ray and fish material, as well as an small bone. Here is some photos of my finds. If you can ID some of my finds, it would greatly appreciated. 

cheers Bobby 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

My expert ID is "mostly stuff not found in my Miocene matrix".  :P

Your matrix stuff pretty good too. My photos came out ok I think a couple of the teeth are only 2mm. 

• I found this Informative 1

What a nice lot of different bits and pieces. 

I love going through micro matrix; great fun! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

What a nice lot of different bits and pieces. 

I love going through micro matrix; great fun! :)

It is quite addictive .  :dinothumb:

I'm rubbish on the smaller shark teeth and other than very distinctive ones like tiger shark, sand tiger, or nurse shark--I'm little use in giving proper identifications to those. I generally consider most some form of gray shark (Carcharhinus sp.) tooth or Lemon Shark (Negaprion sp.). There is enough variation between upper and lower teeth and various tooth positions that I end up confusing myself and second guessing whenever I try to ID those. Here are some that I can provide a more reasonable identification for from the batch:

#7: Eagle ray tooth plate (Aetobatus sp.)--the curvature sets it apart from Myliobatus sp. cow nose rays which are straight.

#8: Partial Aetobatus sp.

#9: Slightly broken Myliobatus (see above) tooth plate photographed with the root side up--the smooth side is the occlusal (crushing) surface.

#10: Worn stingray (Dasyatis sp.) tail spine (barbs on sides are worn away).

#11: Possibly burrow cast (trace fossil).

#12: Looked like a piece of pufferfish mouth plate in the group shot above but seems to be a broken end of an eagle ray mouth plate (Aetobatus).

#13: More basal section of a stingray tale spine--thicker medial section with thinner sides is characteristic.

#14: Pinfish tooth (Lagodon sp.)--the bifid tooth shape is diagnostic.

#16: Gastropod steinkern (internal shell mold)

#17: Fish spine (possibly modern)

#18: Interesting calcitic marine fossil--possibly echinoid spine (open to be educated on this one). :)

#19: More gastropod steinkerns

#20: Looks to be a bone fragment--likely unidentifiable unless someone has seen one of these before. @old bones

#21: Modern freshwater gastropod (snail)

I'll let someone else tackle the shark teeth. ;) "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

@digit thank you Ken that is a great help. I will look forward to looking up them IDs and learning something new.

cheers Bobby 

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

I will look forward to looking up them IDs and learning something new.

For me that's the second best part of any fossil hunt. Best part is the adrenaline rush when you find something new and unknown. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

If you have a few minutes free from your mineral mine. Could you please have a look.thank you @ynot

I would think his crystal mine has been under snow for quite some time. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, digit said:

#7: Eagle ray tooth plate (Aetobatus sp.)--the curvature sets it apart from Myliobatus sp. cow nose rays which are straight.

#8: Partial Aetobatus sp.

#9: Slightly broken Myliobatus (see above) tooth plate photographed with the root side up--the smooth side is the occlusal (crushing) surface.

#10: Worn stingray (Dasyatis sp.) tail spine (barbs on sides are worn away).

#11: Possibly burrow cast (trace fossil).

#12: Looked like a piece of pufferfish mouth plate in the group shot above but seems to be a broken end of an eagle ray mouth plate (Aetobatus).

#13: More basal section of a stingray tale spine--thicker medial section with thinner sides is characteristic.

#14: Pinfish tooth (Lagodon sp.)--the bifid tooth shape is diagnostic.

#16: Gastropod steinkern (internal shell mold)

#17: Fish spine (possibly modern)

#18: Interesting calcitic marine fossil--possibly echinoid spine (open to be educated on this one). :)

#19: More gastropod steinkerns

#20: Looks to be a bone fragment--likely unidentifiable unless someone has seen one of these before. @old bones

#21: Modern freshwater gastropod (snail)

I'll let someone else tackle the shark teeth.

I agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I would think his crystal mine has been under snow for quite some time. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the snow level has been fluctuating over the mine's elevation. Gets snow, melts, gets more snow. (Right now it has at least 3 inches covering it.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

19 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Great pictures. Really amazing!

Thank you just taken with a phone and a cheep clip on lens. I really enjoy the photography part of collecting. 

890E7717-47CA-4D25-BB51-2FF51C92FA51.jpeg

1 hour ago, old bones said:

Hmmm, I'm stumped on the 'possible bone;.

You've spent more time with Florida micro-matrix than anyone else I know so I think we'll consider that item not likely to be identified (by anyone here) anytime soon. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:44 PM, digit said:

I'm rubbish on the smaller shark teeth and other than very distinctive ones like tiger shark, sand tiger, or nurse shark--I'm little use in giving proper identifications

@digit I am disappointed to hear this!!!! My large quantity of Cookie Cutter Creek matrix has been cleaned of all (most if I am truthful) fossils except for a few cups left to examine. I was going to ask you for IDs on my finds when I finish and attempt to photograph these tiny specimens. Should I refer on to Richard Hulbert instead and hope he finally responds to one of my requests??

@Bobby Rico, NICE finds! Isn't micro matrix fun!!! My cookie cutter matrix is the first I have dealt with and hopefully won't be my last. The best part of this type of fossil hunting is that I can display my wonderful finds in the living room and not be scolded for all the clutter I create since she cant see them without her glasses!!!!!! I then use the sandy gravel to put on top of the icey driveway so that she doesn't slip. A win-win for our relationship.

Mike

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

@digit I am disappointed to hear this!!!! My large quantity of Cookie Cutter Creek matrix has been cleaned of all (most if I am truthful) fossils except for a few cups left to examine. I was going to ask you for IDs on my finds when I finish and attempt to photograph these tiny specimens. Should I refer on to Richard Hulbert instead and hope he finally responds to one of my requests??

No. Richard doesn't particularly specialize in shark teeth as he's more of a mammal guy (no pun intended). He's had to learn a bit more about shark teeth and micro-fossils from the matrix that is being collected at the Montbrook site but this is far from his bailiwick. There are several folks here who are pretty good with shark teeth and I think we can get those IDs answered here on the forum. Other than some distinctive shark and ray teeth my mind goes to mush (it's a short trip) when I look at "normal" shark teeth and try to assign IDs. Just when I think I know what I'm doing I confuse one species for another with the variation that these teeth can exhibit in different tooth positions. For Isistius triangulus (Cookiecutter Shark) teeth, I'm your man--beyond that, I claim ignorance. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

20 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Bobby Rico, NICE finds! Isn't micro matrix fun!!! My cookie cutter matrix is the first I have dealt with and hopefully won't be my last. The best part of this type of fossil hunting is that I can display my wonderful finds in the living room and not be scolded for all the clutter I create since she cant see them without her glasses!!!!!! I then use the sandy gravel to put on top of the icey driveway so that she doesn't slip. A win-win for our relationship.

Mike

Thanks Mike 

Micro Matrix is really addictive and Mrs R loves it too. I would hope I can get some more a some point. 

Thanks everyone for you kind comments and big thanks to Ken @digit  for all the IDs.

A couple more and My favourite tooth it is about 3mm only but a real stunner. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...