Are floating crinoids rare?

Moozillion

I am considering buying a floating crinoid fossil, and the seller claims they’re “rare.” Is this true or is he just trying to make a sale?

Is it a Solnhofen piece? I don't know how common (or rare) they are outside of that formation, but I've heard that they're one of the more commonly available fossils from that site. I got one a few years ago, for a low price.

I've seen a lot more of them than some other Solnhofen inverts. For what that's worth.

In Altmuthal region they are very common - I found a lot of them in Eichstatt quarry. In this place they were indeed the best represented invertebrate :)

I know that they can also be found in the Alps and the Tatra mountains (at the Polish side) - but I have never seen a specimen from such locations. 

• I found this Informative 2

Depends:

Saccocoma is the most common macrofossil in Solnhofen (with more than 10 of them per square meter in certain layers) 

Comaturella formosa and C. pinnata,  two other floating crinoids from there, are much rarer:

• I found this Informative 7

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

As my predecessors have already indicated, Saccocomas are a dime a dozen in the Solnhofen Formation, so don't be misled by false statements about their rarity.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Quite a few crinoids were floating or free swimming, many are free swimming in today's oceans.

pelagics1.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Moozillion said:

Thanks so much, everybody!:thumbsu:

Yes, these (there are 3 being offered) are all from Solnhofen!

Saccocoma can be pretty little things, but, as has been said, can't be considered to be rare.

Depends on the price you're willing to pay, Mooz. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well, dang it-the program won't let me upload EVEN JUST ONE photo!

I've uploaded photos here plenty of times before...I don't know what the problem is. 

I may PM some of you folks with more questions...

1 hour ago, Moozillion said:

Well, dang it-the program won't let me upload EVEN JUST ONE photo!

I've uploaded photos here plenty of times before...I don't know what the problem is. 

I may PM some of you folks with more questions...

If the picture is to large it won’t up load. Make the image smaller and only add one picture at a time. Or if  you don’t know how to do this  take a screenshot or printscreen the image. I am indeed to see it. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

If the picture is to large it won’t up load. Make the image smaller and only add one picture at a time. Or if  you don’t know how to do this  take a screenshot or printscreen the image. I am indeed to see it. 

Thanks, Bobby. 
hubby is my tech support and he’s out at a meeting all day; hopefully I can post photos tomorrow.

I’ve already decided the fellow is asking too much, but am going to pm certain members for other options!

i think crinoids are amazing! And so many inverts are just fantastically beautiful! 
who needs science fiction when you’ve got paleontology!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

6 minutes ago, Moozillion said:

Thanks, Bobby. 
hubby is my tech support and he’s out at a meeting all day; hopefully I can post photos tomorrow.

I’ve already decided the fellow is asking too much, but am going to pm certain members for other options!

i think crinoids are amazing! And so many inverts are just fantastically beautiful! 
who needs science fiction when you’ve got paleontology!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

If the questions aren’t about value or about the vendor please ask them here. It is quite interesting subject that does not pop up all the time. I am with you crinoids are otherworldly, beautiful and strange.

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

If the questions aren’t about value or about the vendor please ask them here. It is quite interesting subject that does not pop up all the time. I am with you crinoids are otherworldly, beautiful and strange.

Actually, the questions ARE about value and vendors! 

If we end up talking about other issues I will post them here. :rolleyes:

Thanks!