PointyKnight

Hey everyone,

I came across these teeth online; They're being sold as an Acheroraptor teeth, but seemed odd to me and reminded me of some recurved Pectinodon teeth I had seen elsewhere (given their small size, too).

[Tooth 1] 
The tooth was found in Hell Creek deposits in Carter County, Montana. I edited the seller's images together to make some features more visible. Its total height is 5mm; the serration density I measured is around 6/mm; Scale bar is 4mm.

M9019.thumb.jpg.bd7e5ce904cf881c404418cf0421eb86.jpg

[Tooth 2]
The tooth was found in Hell Creek deposits in Powder River County, Montana. Its total height [?] is around 4mm; Since there was no exact scale reference I couldn't edit in a scale bar.

MoB0910.thumb.png.723dbc1ef5cd488a1cb4ebff726b067b.png

Thanks for any help with this!

Edited by PointyKnight
  • I found this Informative 1

@bcfossilcollector Good idea, thanks!

@fossilsonwheels Exactly, the shape and orientation of the serrations didn't really look like Acheroraptor and much more like Troodontids in some aspects to me as well. Then again, I'm not sure if they can be identified as on a genus level either. If anyone has a good ID guide for Troodontid teeth, I'd love to read about it!

I actually don't believe either tooth is a Troodontid.

The distal denticle on Troodon teeth should be pointing toward the tip with they are not.  The mesial serrations are also too tiny.  I would have to have a density count of both edges but could be a dromaeosaurid just looking at visually 

5e19f79659d2e_20171217_0007-Copy.jpg.370c03f6f3923b4032366471537bfb1c.jpg

The denticles are too close together for this to be Pectinodon, a posterior position being the only possible one.   I think the preservation is too poor to positively assign this tooth.   Would need to see the mesial carina.  Could be a Dromaeosaurid or Richardoestesia.  its indeterminate.

5e19f792a3ad0_20171217_0007-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.ecfd8cb2d1348fbdc9fb7775d9573e48.jpg

here is a guide I put together on troodontid teeth

• I found this Informative 2

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You might find this of value,  good comparative photos using specimens in my collection 

@Troodon Right! This is one of the posts I consulted prior to this; I thought that Tooth 2 had some similarities to this one particularly:

5a84972d43dc8_PectinodonHCPR.jpg.1d4261949162fd957a1f655d5d13cce6.jpg.7392914e460d7c2c7d438a9a66bc0465.jpg 

Though compared to all the other teeth, the differences are pretty striking. I was wondering: Has the ID on this tooth changed since the original post was made? 

Not sure why I added that tooth I dont think it's one.  The denticles are wrong.  Need to change that image, sorry about that.

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not sure why I added that tooth I dont think it's one.  The denticles are wrong.  Need to change that image, sorry about that.

No problem! I'll keep an eye out for more positively identifiable features in the future. Thanks again!

Yeah, I appreciate being called to help, but troodon is the man for these.  Frank actually does his homework and reads the scientific literature on these things.  I am more of an educated guesser.  Lance / Hell Creek mammals... now those I can help with.  

• I found this Informative 2