Jump to content
MarcoSr

A few more Riker mount displays with macro specimens from the Round Mountain Silt Formation of California, the Chadron/Brule Formations of Nebraska, and the Miocene of Virginia.

Recommended Posts

Darktooth

Thanks for sharing these displays, they are very nice. All three contain some Beauties!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarcoSr
3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks for sharing these displays, they are very nice. All three contain some Beauties!

 

My favorite display in this post is the one from the Ernst Ranch.  That one has several specimens that I really like including the largest C. hastalis that I've ever found.  I have some larger/deeper Riker mount displays (16"X12"X2") coming to me next Thursday.  I'll be able to mount/display some of my larger macro Miocene specimens, including some real favorites of mine, that I have collected from Virginia.

 

Marco Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
3 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

 

My favorite display in this post is the one from the Ernst Ranch.  That one has several specimens that I really like including the largest C. hastalis that I've ever found.  I have some larger/deeper Riker mount displays (16"X12"X2") coming to me next Thursday.  I'll be able to mount/display some of my larger macro Miocene specimens, including some real favorites of mine, that I have collected from Virginia.

 

Marco Sr.

I am looking forward to seeing those!:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siteseer

Hi Marco Sr.,

 

You found a 3-inch hastalis and a complete megalodon in three trips?  You thought you were lucky with Otodus.  Based on Bob Ernst's collecting, I figured out a person digging for four hours every day for a 30 day month could expect to find one essentially complete megalodon in that time so you really beat the odds there.

 

Jess

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarcoSr
13 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Marco Sr.,

 

You found a 3-inch hastalis and a complete megalodon in three trips?  You thought you were lucky with Otodus.  Based on Bob Ernst's collecting, I figured out a person digging for four hours every day for a 30 day month could expect to find one essentially complete megalodon in that time so you really beat the odds there.

 

Jess

 

 

 

Jess

 

Yes, in three trips total from Virginia to California (but each trip was 2 or 3 days digging at the Ernst Ranch).  I found the megalodon at slow curve on my third trip.  I found the hastalis at either the East or West Pit on my second trip.  I also found a nice bramble shark tooth on my first trip just walking around the area by slow curve surface collecting for teeth in what had been recently bulldozed.  That tooth is in one of my gem jar displays from the Ernst Ranch.  I wish I was as lucky at a few other sites.

 

Marco Sr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siteseer
On 1/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, MarcoSr said:

 

Jess

 

Yes, in three trips total from Virginia to California (but each trip was 2 or 3 days digging at the Ernst Ranch).  I found the megalodon at slow curve on my third trip.  I found the hastalis at either the East or West Pit on my second trip.  I also found a nice bramble shark tooth on my first trip just walking around the area by slow curve surface collecting for teeth in what had been recently bulldozed.  That tooth is in one of my gem jar displays from the Ernst Ranch.  I wish I was as lucky at a few other sites.

 

Marco Sr. 

 

Marco Sr.,

 

The first time I collected Slow Curve was in 1993.  I went there with a paleontologist who was a mutual friend of Bob and I.  I helped him collect and screen I don't know how many pounds of matrix and then he gave me some of the concentrate of which I still have a lot to search.  The different thing about Slow Curve is that many of the micro teeth have been preserved with a translucent quality.  They can be almost clear to yellow to orangish-red.

 

I think your big hastalis is from the west quarry.  Most of the darker teeth tend to come from there - enough that I would bet on it but they popped up elsewhere on the old property too, of course.

 

Jess

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarcoSr
8 hours ago, siteseer said:

 

Marco Sr.,

 

The first time I collected Slow Curve was in 1993.  I went there with a paleontologist who was a mutual friend of Bob and I.  I helped him collect and screen I don't know how many pounds of matrix and then he gave me some of the concentrate of which I still have a lot to search.  The different thing about Slow Curve is that many of the micro teeth have been preserved with a translucent quality.  They can be almost clear to yellow to orangish-red.

 

I think your big hastalis is from the west quarry.  Most of the darker teeth tend to come from there - enough that I would bet on it but they popped up elsewhere on the old property too, of course.

 

Jess

 

 

Jess

 

Thank you for the correct quarry for the hastalis.

 

I have a decent number of translucent micro teeth from Slow Curve.  Below is a Heterodontus anterior translucent tooth (2 mm) from Slow Curve.

 

 

5e245ab3d7eef_Heterodontussp.102mm.jpg.f01322bbe2605efbe835c7da8ec15589.jpg

 

 

Marco Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siteseer

Marco Sr.,

 

That's a cool specimen.  I think I have a translucent Rhinobatos or two and a couple of Dasyatis so far.

 

Jess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarcoSr

Below is a picture of an 8”X12” display with Carcharodon hastalis (top), Anotodus retroflexus (middle), and Isurus desori (bottom) shark teeth from the Miocene of Virginia that I just put together. 

 

 

5e2f4f203e16e_MioceneStratfordHallStratfordHarbourWestmorelandCountyVirginiaCarcharodonhastalistopAn-usretroflexusmiddleandIsurusdesoribottomspecimens8X12.thumb.jpg.df6a685604cc61ad4f0a8ee4ddbc8f47.jpg

 

 

 

Marco Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Some of these teeth are quite, quite beautiful. :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarcoSr
7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Some of these teeth are quite, quite beautiful. :wub:

 

Thank you.  I think it was worth the time and money to move a lot of my fossils to the Riker displays which really showcase the specimens.

 

Marco Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×