My Canada fossil project of 2020

dinosaur man

21 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Out of curiosity when did the ban take effect?  I have the impression it was many decades ago, but I don't know the actual date and I've not yet been able to figure it out from Google.

Don

As regards Alberta I think most of the provincial laws regarding fossil collecting came into effect in 1978. Prior to 1978 there seemed to be a lot of ambiguity as regards collecting, selling etc. I sometimes find the laws governing fossil collecting to be as fascinating as the collecting itself. But only sometimes. 

• I found this Informative 3

• 7 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, Arion said:

All good points here. With some goals, it just doesn’t make sense to limit/pressure yourself to a timeframe based on when a rock flies around a star. :)

The other thing that’s helpful is having a plan (and maybe you do, it just sounds like your plan consists mostly of presuming on the assistance and generosity of others, which ends up being less effective, less rewarding, and less socially acceptable than working at it yourself). I think if you look at how some of the other members here developed their collections, you’ll see a few common threads. Invariably, there’s been a lot of research, a lot of relationships built, and a fair amount of money spent (and often a lot of traveling). All of those things take time, and it isn’t fair to yourself to carry the pressure of doing in a year what’s taken others decades. Do some research, find out how others have built their collections, then adapt their methods to what’s practical for your situation. If this is really an important goal for you, then there are choices you can make now and down the road to help you get there. You’ll enjoy the journey as well as the destination, and find it much more satisfying than relying on the generosity of others. 

Your goal is a lofty one but not unattainable, and hey, it’s not physically impossible to attain in the short term. But it will probably be more helpful if you set some intermediate goals in the meantime to help get you to that point, rather than just focusing on the grand finale. That way you’ll enjoy the journey, increase your odds of success, and likely end up with a bunch of other cool stuff along the way.:)

Edit: Didn’t see the scope was ‘Carboniferous to Cretaceous in Canada.’ Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are the best bets for Carboniferous stuff in my opinion, but I seriously doubt you’ll see anything for sale legitimately from there (and collecting laws practically preclude self-collection). Some Permian fossils from Prince Edward Island might be an attainable target from a purely legal standpoint, but they’re incredibly hard to find and would definitely have to be self-collected.

FYI fossils on PEI are also protected by law.

• I found this Informative 1