Ivory & More on the Peace River

PODIGGER

Had to get back to the Peace River today.  Eight days since the last trip and I was getting anxious to get back to the spot where I found the partial tusk to see if i could find more.  It was a warm day but overcast and windy, so the wetsuit was in order again to combat the water temp and the breeze.  It made for a comfortable day of digging and I was able to spend 5 1/2 hours in the water.  First check of the river bank when getting out of the kayak yielded a nice 3/4" Hemi getting the day off to a good start.  I then worked my way back to the area where I found the piece of ivory tusk on my last visit to start sifting.  The second sifting of the day yielded a horse molar and a few small shark teeth.  Then up came a chunk of ivory tusk 8 1/2" x 4 1/4"!  It looked just like the piece from last time.  I then pulled up what I think is a vertebra, but looking closer I will need to get a full set of photos and post it in the ID section for review.  As the day progressed I was lucky to come up another definite vertebra, a bison upper molar, a glyptodont dermal scute, eagle ray tooth plate, what looks like a fragment of a mammoth tooth with two long roots, a mastodon tooth fragment and an assortment of shark teeth.  Along the way I also pulled up two more sections of the tusk - one 3"x5" that I was able to fit into the larger piece and another piece 2"x 3 3/4" along with several fragments.  I will try and compare the piece of tusk from the last visit to the one found today to see if it could be one in the same.  Possible it could be a pair?    Here are some photos of the best of the day.

20200111_220405-2_resized.png.jpeg

20200111_221025_resized.png.jpeg

20200111_215012_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I like the glyptodon piece in particular

Sorry Tidgy's Dad, but you are wrong! The ivory stands out the most!!!!!!

Thank you all for your comments. The ivory, at this size, is probably the hardest to find.  I am grateful to have found two large pieces on my last two hunts.  I really like the glyptodont scutes also and now have three approximately the same size to place in a display.  I will be posting a couple of the finds in the ID section once I get better pictures.  One is the suspected vert, middle specimen on left side.  When looking at all sides there are some indentations and circular markings that make me question the ID.  The second is the 4" long piece in the upper right of the picture.  I believe it is a piece of mammoth tooth with two long roots, but not sure.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Sorry Tidgy's Dad, but you are wrong! The ivory stands out the most!!!!!!

Me? Wrong? :headscratch:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png