Starfish ?

Rockwood

In the fall of 2011 I got of the train in Harrisburg on my way to Red Hill for my first dig with DVPS and waited for the rental car shuttle. The folks there voiced concern that this snow storm might interfere with the dig.

Anyway, I dug this from under a snow covered stump up the highway at Swatara State park the next day.

Looking at it recently, I noticed this shape that seemed different than the fenestrate bryozoans that were common in the samples.

Any chance this is a starfish ?

IMG_5132 (2).JPG

IMG_5133 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Can we get a straight down look at it, Dale? 

Also a pic with the whole rock in the picture, looking down on it, please. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Swatara Asteroidea: Lehman & Pope 1989

Mesopaleaster cf. lanceolatus
Promopaleaster bellulus
Promopaleaster pricei
Schuchertia laxata
Urasterella pulchella

Swatara Ophiuroidea: Lehman & Pope 1989
Phragmactis sp.
Protasterina maximus
Taeniaster sp.

Schuchert, C. 1915
Revision of Paleozoic Stelleroidea with special reference to North American Asteroidea.
Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, 88:1-312   PDF LINK

Lehman, D., Pope, J.K. 1989

Upper Ordovician tempestites from Swatara Gap, Pennsylvania: Depositional processes affecting the sediments and paleoecology of the fossil faunas.

Palaios, 4(6):553-564

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Wow, good eye, great ID. I had problems seeing anything resembling starfish as we know it today, but then, after seeing piranha's learned response, I went to this link:

Ordovician Star

I'm not sure I would have caught it this time if I hadn't purchased an ophiuroid from Fezouata since then. It's a unique color/texture.

52 minutes ago, Andriy said:

Looks like this... texture... 

No. Contrasted to that texture. See above and left of it in the third photo. The rocks are full of fenestrate bryozoans.

That looks like Mahantango from the State Park Rockwood. Not sure there was any Martinsbug? Ordovician there at the park proper in 2011. Could be wrong of course!

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like most everyone is in the "starfish" camp. And if that is what it is, what a wonderful find. I myself, as uneducated on starfish as I am, still wonder if it is a bryozoan. First of all, you say the slab is full of them. Then @Andriy posts his picture of a bryozoan. I see distinct similarities between his bryozoan and your starfish. Sorry about the poor photos taken of your photos. But I think you can see my concerns.DSC_0326-001.thumb.JPG.d7bd68fa91e9447f462fa6efa90f580b.JPGDSC_0325-001.JPG.fb794055ae753d69921b540c7ca9c71a.JPG

The key is the two different scales in the pattern seen clearly in your top image. The arches are quite contiguous with the smaller features. The arches being the body cavity and the smaller features more external I believe.

A bryozoan would be on one scale or the other. Or in the case of fenestrates would have a different placement of zooids. I think.

Just now, westcoast said:

Nice find. Would love to see some sharper images, if possible.

When sunshine and time permit.

I had it on an awkward perch trying to get multiple types of lamps to shine on it. 

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I see distinct similarities between his bryozoan and your starfish.

Maybe two layers laying close on top of each other.

It's really bugging me now, but I have tile to bust and pipes to turn. :)

Piranha's references are for the Ordovician I believe. Your rock looks like Mahantango to me. Again; I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Piranha's references are for the Ordovician I believe. Your rock looks like Mahantango to me. Again; I could be wrong.

It was from under the tree roots behind the jeep if that means anything.

IMG_2084a.jpg

You're a real "hound dog" Dale:thumbsu: We used to call it "snot cicling" when we went to Swatara in the winter. The name came from runny noses freezing in the air. We even used whisk brooms to remove snow.

That's Mahantango in the parking lot I'm almost sure. The Martinsburg was in the gap where the stream went under the highway. It's been off limits for years. Tons of Cryptolithus and flexicalaymene there back in the day and the rare starfish or ophiuroid.

38 minutes ago, Plax said:

You're a real "hound dog" Dale

Funny you should put it that way. The first time I was there we got tired of listening to the hounds someone was running and went back to the coal shale piles.

the road that goes up over the mountains to Tower City from Swatara Gap used to have good plant fossils but I imagine those reclaimed spoils are forest now. the plants were made of gold colored mineral (marcasite?) which resulted in the road name Gold Mine Rd.

I affectionately call hard core collectors "hound dogs". Though it can have a negative connotation as well. Depends on the hound dog. If you go to a surface collecting site the day before you take a friend you are a hound dog. If you collect the same spot every weekend you are a hound dog. If the river's low or the weather's good and you neglect a family event or holiday to collect; you're a hound dog.

Dale, 

I agree with Plax that this is Mahantango Fm. material. Devonian. 

I also think your possible starfish is actually a bit of the bryozoan, Taeniopora exigua.

Taeniopora is a common fossil in the Mahantango. 

Have a look at this photo from Shamalama's blog, Views of the Mahantango

IMG_2532.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 1/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, piranha said:

Lehman, D., Pope, J.K. 1989

Upper Ordovician tempestites from Swatara Gap, Pennsylvania: Depositional processes affecting the sediments and paleoecology of the fossil faunas.

Palaios, 4(6):553-564

Is there a pdf version of this available.