Horn Coral Action Figure

Peat Burns

For those that don't live and breathe fossils like we do, horn corals are often mistaken for horns, claws, etc.  I knew someone who even swore the horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot, despite my insistence to the contrary.  So after finding my best horn coral specimen ever (the largest one in this trio is about 9 inches long), I decided to make a cast of the specimen and "reconstruct" it to show people what they may have looked like when living.  I know @caldigger will be very happy that there is now a horn coral action figure - complete with bioluminescence! :heartylaugh:

Fossil next to "reconstruction"

Resized_20200112_182453.thumb.jpeg.36094e88206c4b123ea23f34bda051e7.jpeg

"Bioluminescent tips" :)

Resized_20200112_182721.thumb.jpeg.70cd292406af5046d686e101f0e866e3.jpeg

@Bobby Rico, @Tidgy's Dad, @Nimravis

• I found this Informative 23

1 minute ago, Misha said:

What do you use for casting them?

I would love to do something like this with some of my fossils

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation.  I'm wanting to do two separate brachiopod valves and manufacture a brachidium to put inside.  I might end up doing a whole Silica Fm. Diorama.

• I found this Informative 4

19 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot,

Are you telling me that it is not??? My whole life has been a lie. Please do not tell me the Earth is not flat :rolleyes:

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Peat Burns said:

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation.  I'm wanting to do two separate brachiopod valves and manufacture a brachidium to put inside.  I might end up doing a whole Silica Fm. Diorama.

That sounds very interesting,

Keep up the great work!

16 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Are you telling me that it is not??? My whole life has been a lie. Please do not tell me the Earth is not flat :rolleyes:

Bahahahahahahaha!  And only 6000 years old! :heartylaugh:

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

@Peat Burns, Does it come with Kung-Fu grip?

hahahahahaha.  Not yet, but I've been thinking of injecting some of that pink stuff and making a "stretch armstrong / monster horn coral"

• I found this Informative 2

Been waiting for this, what an amazing piece, proper work of art. :default_clap2:

Good job.

I can't wait for the addition of a couple of dozen species of brachiopod. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations on your reproduction work, Tony. Those "living" corals look really cool. I hope you do create a whole Silica Formation diorama. That would be awesome. 

54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Been waiting for this, what an amazing piece, proper work of art. :default_clap2:

Good job.

I can't wait for the addition of a couple of dozen species of brachiopod. :D

1 minute ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations on your reproduction work, Tony. Those "living" corals look really cool. I hope you do create a whole Silica Formation diorama. That would be awesome. 

Thanks guys.  I'm having waay too much fun with this stuff :)

This is really neat! I love seeing representations of how ancient life might have looked when it was alive. The bioluminescence is a nice touch!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Just now, FossilNerd said:

This is really neat! I love seeing representations of how ancient life might have looked when it was alive. The bioluminescence is a nice touch!

Thanks.  Although I can't take credit for the bioluminescence.  The fleshy part is aquarium anemones made of silicone that I found at Walmart, and they already had the glow-in-the-dark tips :)

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

horn corals are often mistaken for horns, claws, etc.

Let us not forget teeth!  :D

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I use silicone rubber and two-part casting resin from Alumilite Corporation

I’ve used this and it’s great stuff!

thats a great job! Looks good!

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

4 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I knew someone who even swore the horn coral he had found was a fossil carrot, despite my insistence to the contrary.

I wonder if he may have been right al along. At least those "tentacles" sure look like carrots to me. :)

Great work!

Wow you did it and it is fantastically created   . I hope it is the first in full set of The Devonian sea action figure range. With real glowing bioluminescence  that adds  so much to the fun. Adam must be getting excited because the Brachiopods play figure could one day be a reality.
Good work really cool . 

cheers Bobby 

Nicely done, but do they transform into robots or fight terrorists?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Nicely done, but do they transform into robots or fight terrorists?

That’s left up to your own imagination in the wonders of play. :D

Well done! If they only looked this good in the field, I would pick them up more often! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s left up to your own imagination in the wonders of play. :D

Imagination, what's that?! 

Oh, I remember. That was a term they used a long time ago when kids actually played outside unsupervised and talked to eachother with their mouths. ;)

Very nostalgic!

• I found this Informative 3