Misha

Nice finds!

I always love seeing vertebrate material from the Paleozoic.

Carboniferouspat

Thanks  for posting all that, very interesting information that I was not aware of. And I live in Illinois.Great specimens.

Petalodus12

These are some great finds! I’ve found my fair share of Carboniferous vertebrate fossils but my oceanic collection consists of a whopping 2 petalodus teeth. Thanks for sharing these with us!

fossilsonwheels
1 hour ago, connorp said:

Next are a few specimens from another black shale exposed in Grundy/Kankakee County, the Excello Shale. It is lighter and more fissile than the Mecca Quarry Shale I've explored, and all fossils I've acquired so far are pyritized. The first three are Listracanthus hystrix dermal denticles collected at Pit 14 in Kankakee County, which is located directly below the popular Pit 11 where many of us hunt for Mazon Creek nodules. Unfortunately the site has been closed for a while, I'm guessing bulldozed to build a neighborhood.

This one was from this year's Christmas Auction. It is the largest and best preserved denticle I've acquired from anywhere in the US.

IMG_7819.thumb.JPG.edec4eabe949f3bd9e6ddac234e78e12.JPGIMG_7820.thumb.JPG.d914d04c96e0aa0c7161f00825f8284d.JPG

This partial denticle was found on the backside of the above specimen after a quick run under water to wash off the dust.

IMG_7822.thumb.JPG.7e3967e4d4c29576355680cb76b61c34.JPG

And I have one more, not super well preserved though.

IMG_7823.thumb.JPG.25443b305ff8d69b74c2ede7b72c12d4.JPG

Fantastic finds !! These are some spectacular fossils. The Edestus and the Listracanthus are so cool. My Listracanthus is on really dark shale, very difficult to see. all of yours are really nice. Good luck with the future hunts.

Tidgy's Dad

Very interesting.

I love that associated acanthodian grouping. 

Than you for sharing your wonderful finds with us all. :) 

deutscheben

Thanks for gathering your excellent Pennsylvanian fish material together, @connorp. It's great to see some new material in there too- as an Illinois resident, Edestus has been on my dream list, but finding one in the field seems pretty difficult- I'm glad you could acquire a specimen! That Deltoptychius is also very cool and seems to be mostly complete. Here's to many more quality shark and fish finds for you!

Misha

That edestus tooth and jaw are very cool.

Not a shark though, closer relatives would be the holocephali you have

connorp
25 minutes ago, Misha said:

That edestus tooth and jaw are very cool.

Not a shark though, closer relatives would be the holocephali you have

I never even bothered to check that, interesting. All reconstructions look like sharks so I just assumed, but then again nothing besides the whorls are known. Shows just how little we know about these weird fish.

connorp

I was reading a paper this morning about chondrichthyans from Arizona and a good point was made about Orodus. The teeth have been found in association with hyobodont material, and it’s very likely that teeth assigned to Orodus come from a variety of fish and are just a convergent form of teeth. So even though my tooth in particular is a good match for O. greggi, it would probably not be wise to assign it to that species. Since body fossils are known, the species is not just based on teeth, and thus it is not guaranteed the tooth comes from that specific shark despite being morphologically similar to its teeth.

doushantuo

Nice post,Connorp.

good visuals

kudos!

doushantuo

the straight conodont element looks "ozarkodinoid" (Idiognathodus?)to me,BTW but conodont taxonomy is plagued by a lot of methodological problems

The buccal apparatus of conodonts is a multi-element one,and a single element is rarely indicative of a genus.

doushantuo

Long shot:Menaspis armata

edit: will let it stand,Menaspis is primarily(solely?)known from the upper Permian

deutscheben

I missed your black shale micro post, very cool stuff!

The two most recent teeth are excellent as well, that last one is really lovely and quite intriguing. I have no idea what the ID would be, though. 

I have been slowly prepping one of the remaining pieces from my trip to the site last fall- I couldn't tell what it was at first, but it turned out to be a cladodont tooth preserved with the root facing out. I'm hoping that at least a few cusps are complete, but I'm not quite there yet. 

connorp
1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

I have been slowly prepping one of the remaining pieces from my trip to the site last fall- I couldn't tell what it was at first, but it turned out to be a cladodont tooth preserved with the root facing out. I'm hoping that at least a few cusps are complete, but I'm not quite there yet. 

Nice, the one I'm finishing prepping is a cladodont tooth too. It has all four outer cusps, and the median cusp is about 50% complete. Should be done in a day or two. I look forward to seeing yours.

Tidgy's Dad

I love the patterns on this sort of tooth plates.

Lovely. :wub: