Joebiwan3

Hey everyone i hope you all had a great holiday season....this next tooth in my collection was labled saurornitholestes from the hell creek formation from powder county MT. We know that the only two described raptors from there are dakotaraptor and acheroraptor so im curious to see what you all think of this one. Nanotyrannus perhaps? Unfortunately the anterior serrations have worn off which im sure will make id'ing this tooth difficult but anyway here it is. ....the CH is 9 mm the posterior serrations are 12 per 3 mm.

@Troodon

20200112_230156.jpg

20200112_225513.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-235620_Gallery.jpg

20200112_230015.jpg

Looks like a Tyrannosaurid to me, and the base appears to have a "pinch", judging by your second batch of photos.

I'd go with Nanotyrannus on this one, from what I can see.

Could you take a straight-on photo of the base, so we can see the shape clearly?

• I found this Informative 1

Agree, most likely Nanotyrannus but also like to see straight in shot of base.   Denticle chisel shape says Tyrannosaurid.   Density not a critical characteristic on these teeth.  Very nice tooth..

It's good you are going through this process, just typical of what I see in lots of collections.   Ive found that too many sellers focus on size to identify teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

Like the others have said, looks like a baby Nanotyrannus tooth.  I've noticed most of these get misidentified and sold as dromaeosaur teeth (I don't think it's done on purpose as Tyrannosaur teeth are just as valuable).  And like omnomosaurus said the pinch at the base suggests Nano rather than rex.