Bone or Shell?

Searcher78

It has a damaged hump in the middle. Maybe it is part of a crocodile skull?  Maybe it is not identifiable?

hith-texas-crocodile-2.jpg

3 hours ago, Searcher78 said:

It has a damaged hump in the middle. Maybe it is part of a crocodile skull?  Maybe it is not identifiable?

hith-texas-crocodile-2.jpg

That's a phytosaur skull you've posted there, not a croc. The bone you posted looks like a turtle neural: one of the shell bones that fuses to the vertebrae.

6 minutes ago, Carl said:

That's a phytosaur skull you've posted there, not a croc. The bone you posted looks like a turtle neural: one of the shell bones that fuses to the vertebrae.

Oops, that's what happens when you grab the first skull pic you see online without reading. I found an online picture that looked a lot like mine without damage earlier (turtle), but not I can't relocate it.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

The bone you posted looks like a turtle neural: one of the shell bones that fuses to the vertebrae.

It was the choice on morphology alone. The surface looked a little off. Likely it was me who. . .

1 hour ago, Searcher78 said:

On another note, what I believed was a worn dolphin vert is what a museum also says it is.

I can see them rolling themselves into this condition.

• I found this Informative 1