How to make a Paraloid B72 solution for fossils?

aplomado

I would like some paraloid B72 solution for protecting fragile fossils.

I have found the paraloid B72 crystals for sale.

What percent solution should be used for fossils, using acetone as a solvent?

Is there any special way to mix it?

Is there a way to safely store it?

!0% or even 5% is good for protection and consolidation of a fragile specimen. The method in the link is fine but I just put 10 or 5 grams of beads into a 100ml glass bottle and fill up with with acetone - lab accuracy isn't really necessary. It may take a day or two to dissolve fully - keep giving it a shake.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

5 minutes ago, TqB said:

!0% or even 5% is good for protection and consolidation of a fragile specimen. The method in the link is fine but I just put 10 or 5 grams of beads into a 100ml glass bottle and fill up with with acetone - lab accuracy isn't really necessary. It may take a day or two to dissolve fully - keep giving it a shake.

I agree... lab accuracy is not needed.  Cheesecloth also works well for the mesh they use in the powerpoint.  

I disagree with the solution strength. Even a 5% solution is often too viscous to adequately penetrate many specimens. I find this to be good on porous bones, etc but for general consolidation I prefer a 2% solution (1 part Paraloid to 50 parts acetone). I would rather apply more often and ensure a deeper penetration.

Thankfully, as @jpc and @TqB mention, accuracy is not very important in this use. I have found that a small batch 2% solution (by weight) with the Paraloid added to the acetone dissolves in a couple hours at room temperatures. I simply weigh out the acetone in the preferred, non-reactive, seal-able container then weigh out the Paraloid. Dump it in and give it a shake every hour or so. After a couple shakes, it is typically fully dissolved. Large batch solutions or higher concentrations would definitely require the cheesecloth method. Adding the Paraloid to the solvent helps keep it from sticking to the bottom of your jar as it dissolves, thus slowing the process considerably.

• I found this Informative 2

Also....If you mix a too thick batch, you can always dilute with acetone, and if your initial mix is too think you can let the acetone evaporate (outside preferably) to thicken it. 

42 minutes ago, jpc said:

and if your initial mix is too think you can let the acetone evaporate (outside preferably) to thicken it. 

Too thin.

If it is too think, there's nothing you can do but run for your life. :default_rofl:

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Too thin.

If it is too think, there's nothing you can do but run for your life. :default_rofl:

"Too think"....  want you guys to write a three page essay on this topic and hand them Thursday morning.  

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

but for general consolidation I prefer a 2% solution (1 part Paraloid to 50 parts acetone). I would rather apply more often and ensure a deeper penetration.

I agree with ptychodus04 on this. Back when I started consolidating fossils he recommended this mix to me and it works great for me!

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I disagree with the solution strength. Even a 5% solution is often too viscous to adequately penetrate many specimens. I find this to be good on porous bones, etc but for general consolidation I prefer a 2% solution (1 part Paraloid to 50 parts acetone). I would rather apply more often and ensure a deeper penetration.

Thankfully, as @jpc and @TqB mention, accuracy is not very important in this use. I have found that a small batch 2% solution (by weight) with the Paraloid added to the acetone dissolves in a couple hours at room temperatures. I simply weigh out the acetone in the preferred, non-reactive, seal-able container then weigh out the Paraloid. Dump it in and give it a shake every hour or so. After a couple shakes, it is typically fully dissolved. Large batch solutions or higher concentrations would definitely require the cheesecloth method. Adding the Paraloid to the solvent helps keep it from sticking to the bottom of your jar as it dissolves, thus slowing the process considerably.

That's also the solution i choose.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg