Peace River this week/Next

annaapple11

Hello! 

I know there are a lot of threads on the peace river.l, and I’ve spent about an hour reading through them and just want to ask a few question. Sorry if they may be repetitive. 

2 years ago we went to Peace River with the amazing John from this forum. He was so helpful, kind and informative and we greatly appreciate him! We are coming down this week into next and would really love to go to the peace river again. I just had a few questions in case my husband and I venture alone. 

1. Is there a good time to best avoid gators?
  2. If we were not able to get a fossil license in time we can only collect shark teeth, correct? We were gifted last minute flights to see the in-laws. 
  3. Would it be best to rent a kayak or just wade in areas and just dig a little deeper

Or if someone is at the peace river anytime This Thursday to next Tuesday and doesn’t mind letting us come with , we would love to join and could help with any expense. I’m the treasurer with our local geology club in Michigan and can always verify my identity. 

Any other advice would be helpful! 

-Anna-Marie

Welcome to the forum.  I would avoid early morning and late afternoon to stay clear of active alligators.  You are correct that without a permit you can only collect shark teeth.  I would encourage you to go the kayak route to have the opportunity to increase the area you will be able to cover.  Good Luck!

Anna, this is John. If the river goes down a couple feet before the end of your visit, I'll take you guys again. Right now the only stretch of the river I know is too deep, but if the rain holds off we may be able to dig. Would you be available next Sunday if the water drops?

Hello John! That would be amazing! We are actually in Florida from this Thursday the 16th -  Tuesday the 21st (Both wednesdays we will be  flying. )

Edited by annaapple11
Typo

Try to make plans with others if you can in case the water stays up and I let you down. They may have other places I'm not familiar with.

Okay! If anyone reaches out I will. I’m not sure how to find others ! And regardless of water levels, you wouldn’t be letting us down! You were so great to us!

7 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

Hello! 

I know there are a lot of threads on the peace river.l, and I’ve spent about an hour reading through them and just want to ask a few question. Sorry if they may be repetitive. 

2 years ago we went to Peace River with the amazing John from this forum. He was so helpful, kind and informative and we greatly appreciate him! We are coming down this week into next and would really love to go to the peace river again. I just had a few questions in case my husband and I venture alone. 

1. Is there a good time to best avoid gators?
  2. If we were not able to get a fossil license in time we can only collect shark teeth, correct? We were gifted last minute flights to see the in-laws. 
  3. Would it be best to rent a kayak or just wade in areas and just dig a little deeper

Or if someone is at the peace river anytime This Thursday to next Tuesday and doesn’t mind letting us come with , we would love to join and could help with any expense. I’m the treasurer with our local geology club in Michigan and can always verify my identity. 

Any other advice would be helpful! 

-Anna-Marie

Hi Anna Marie,

You can collect invertebrates without a permit (shark teeth, sea shells, echinoids, etc). You only need a permit to collect vertebrates. Alternately, if you go on a guided hunt with a permitted operator, their permit will cover you.

As for the gators, they are overrated. During these cooler temps, they are pretty lethargic and their mating frenzy is well behind them. Most of them will just sit on the banks like statues, absorbing heat from the sun. I've been all over Florida rivers and swamps my whole life and have never felt threatened. 99% of unprovoked attacks are preventable by exercising common sense and just giving them a wide berth. I wouldn't worry too much about them. I know they look intimidating (especially the big ones), but they are generally uninterested in people.

I also support the notion of renting a canoe or kayak. You can reach a lot more fossiliferous areas that way. Limiting yourself to wading along the banks near ramps is going to disappoint in most cases unless you get lucky.

Best regards and good luck!

MikeG

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

Hi Anna Marie,

You can collect invertebrates without a permit (shark teeth, sea shells, echinoids, etc). You only need a permit to collect vertebrates. Alternately, if you go on a guided hunt with a permitted operator, their permit will cover you.

As for the gators, they are overrated. During these cooler temps, they are pretty lethargic and their mating frenzy is well behind them. Most of them will just sit on the banks like statues, absorbing heat from the sun. I've been all over Florida rivers and swamps my whole life and have never felt threatened. 99% of unprovoked attacks are preventable by exercising common sense and just giving them a wide berth. I wouldn't worry too much about them. I know they look intimidating (especially the big ones), but they are generally uninterested in people.

I also support the notion of renting a canoe or kayak. You can reach a lot more fossiliferous areas that way. Limiting yourself to wading along the banks near ramps is going to disappoint in most cases unless you get lucky.

Best regards and good luck!

MikeG

Thank you! Is the canoe outpost the only place you can rent a kayak? I have been looking and that’s all I’ve been able to find. I would just prefer not to go on a huge guided tour. It would be nice to just go with a friendly local. Do you know where I could rent a shifter as well?

9 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

Thank you! Is the canoe outpost the only place you can rent a kayak? I have been looking and that’s all I’ve been able to find. I would just prefer not to go on a huge guided tour. It would be nice to just go with a friendly local. Do you know where I could rent a shifter as well?

Anna, if I were you this trip, I would try to schedule a trip with Fred Mazza to the Peace. I started out by taking 3 trips with him, sometimes small groups and sometimes larger. He is a very pleasant guy and you're more likely to come away with something worthwhile for your time and money. As Mike says, Fred's permit allows you to keep what you find.

12 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

I don't blame you about group hunts. I generally like to hunt alone or with a single partner. However, we are planning a Fossil Forum group hunt, but the date is still up in the air. At least with a TFF group hunt, some of us are familiar with each other. It's not a bunch of random people thrown together by a tour operator.

Some of the state and county parks rent kayaks and canoes, but I am not sure which ones. Payne's Creek is a state park, but I don't know if they rent boats or not. You might also check out the websites of county parks that border the Peace - Polk, Hardee, and Desoto counties.

I have an extra kayak and sifter. Maybe it's time we stop talking about the TFF group hunt, and actually nail down some dates.

Here is the thread :

2 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

I don't blame you about group hunts. I generally like to hunt alone or with a single partner. However, we are planning a Fossil Forum group hunt, but the date is still up in the air. At least with a TFF group hunt, some of us are familiar with each other. It's not a bunch of random people thrown together by a tour operator.

Some of the state and county parks rent kayaks and canoes, but I am not sure which ones. Payne's Creek is a state park, but I don't know if they rent boats or not. You might also check out the websites of county parks that border the Peace - Polk, Hardee, and Desoto counties.

I have an extra kayak and sifter. Maybe it's time we stop talking about the TFF group hunt, and actually nail down some dates.

Here is the thread :

If it is decided far ahead I could for sure make it! My in-laws live in Titusville so we come out to meet them often. It’s only about a 2.5 hour drive.

I feel the same about tour guides. I’ve had bad experiences with being put in common areas or having to give up a piece that’s over a certain dollar amount. I’m not saying everyone is like that. I am also a money saver therefore $200 for 2 people to go on a hunt with someone is a lot of money! 

The thing that kills me is I live in Michigan where fossil hunting and mineral collecting is everywhere. From old mines to the lakeshore to gravel dumps . Everywhere. And when I travel I’m always able to collect somewhere . I go to Tucson every other year and go all over Arizona collecting. Then when I come to Florida it’s just the rivers ! And if you’re ultra lucky you might find a poor piece of agatized coral on honeymoon island or go to the “clam guy”! In short what I’m trying to say is that it is weird going on vacation or somewhere and not hunting/collecting . 

I do want to add! 
If anyone finds themselves up my way, reach out. I’d love to point you to spots where you can find minerals And/or fossils. If you come at a certain time you maybe able to come on a collecting trip with our club!

5 hours ago, Sacha said:

Anna, if I were you this trip, I would try to schedule a trip with Fred Mazza to the Peace. I started out by taking 3 trips with him, sometimes small groups and sometimes larger. He is a very pleasant guy and you're more likely to come away with something worthwhile for your time and money. As Mike says, Fred's permit allows you to keep what you find.

I tried to convince my husband of the tour. He is very frugal so he was not keen on the $200.00 tour. I may be able to convince him over the next few days!

8 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

If it is decided far ahead I could for sure make it! My in-laws live in Titusville so we come out to meet them often. It’s only about a 2.5 hour drive.

I feel the same about tour guides. I’ve had bad experiences with being put in common areas or having to give up a piece that’s over a certain dollar amount. I’m not saying everyone is like that. I am also a money saver therefore $200 for 2 people to go on a hunt with someone is a lot of money! 

The thing that kills me is I live in Michigan where fossil hunting and mineral collecting is everywhere. From old mines to the lakeshore to gravel dumps . Everywhere. And when I travel I’m always able to collect somewhere . I go to Tucson every other year and go all over Arizona collecting. Then when I come to Florida it’s just the rivers ! And if you’re ultra lucky you might find a poor piece of agatized coral on honeymoon island or go to the “clam guy”! In short what I’m trying to say is that it is weird going on vacation or somewhere and not hunting/collecting . 

I do want to add! 
If anyone finds themselves up my way, reach out. I’d love to point you to spots where you can find minerals And/or fossils. If you come at a certain time you maybe able to come on a collecting trip with our club!

Florida is a disappointment for many rockhounds. Sure, we have a ton of seashells, fossils, and arguably one of the world's richest concentrations of Pleistocene fauna. But, there's not much in the way of interesting crystals, semi-precious stones, pretty rocks, etc. Just a lot of sand, clay, and limestone. Every now and then, you can find a piece of agatized coral or aragonite-replacement casts in the Peace River, or maybe a piece of petrified wood. There is opaline chert that sometimes comes in interesting shapes and colors. I keep an eye out for interesting rocks when I am fossil hunting, but I don't find that many compared to fossil bits. (Unless you collect phosphate pebbles, there are lots of those. LOL).

I've never paid to go on a guided hunt. I had no idea they charged that much ($200) - I don't know if that is expensive or not, but it sounds like it is. I think I am in the wrong business and need to late career switch in life.  I would imagine that renting a tandem kayak or canoe for a day would be cheaper or about the same price when you figure in parking/shuttling. Of course, if you go without a permit, you would be limited to inverts as mentioned above. You might consider getting a permit anyway, so you are covered if you decide to go again in the near future. It's only $5 a pop and well worth it.

1 hour ago, Bone Daddy said:

Florida is a disappointment for many rockhounds. Sure, we have a ton of seashells, fossils, and arguably one of the world's richest concentrations of Pleistocene fauna. But, there's not much in the way of interesting crystals, semi-precious stones, pretty rocks, etc. Just a lot of sand, clay, and limestone. Every now and then, you can find a piece of agatized coral or aragonite-replacement casts in the Peace River, or maybe a piece of petrified wood. There is opaline chert that sometimes comes in interesting shapes and colors. I keep an eye out for interesting rocks when I am fossil hunting, but I don't find that many compared to fossil bits. (Unless you collect phosphate pebbles, there are lots of those. LOL).

I've never paid to go on a guided hunt. I had no idea they charged that much ($200) - I don't know if that is expensive or not, but it sounds like it is. I think I am in the wrong business and need to late career switch in life.  I would imagine that renting a tandem kayak or canoe for a day would be cheaper or about the same price when you figure in parking/shuttling. Of course, if you go without a permit, you would be limited to inverts as mentioned above. You might consider getting a permit anyway, so you are covered if you decide to go again in the near future. It's only $5 a pop and well worth it.

Yes, the one we looked up , Paleo Discoveries was $100 each for canoe and tour. Which to be fair is a good price for someone’s time for 5-6 hours . But I would rather go with someone who was already going and help out. I did see at the canoe outpost that for rental of the 2 person canoe and both of us to have shovels and shifters to borrow was $68. If I can convince my husband to get over his fear of going alone, we will do that. 

we were able to find some Black and white little pieces of agatized coral on honeymoon island but haven’t seen much else. Our first trip we probably brought buckets of various shells home. We basically became shell experts haha. 

We have prepped ahead and sent in our applications for next time. But it does sound like you should take up a side gig of doing “informative meetups” and do half the price . Haha

Still open to anyone wanting to join. 

20 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

Then when I come to Florida it’s just the rivers

Your experiences in Florida are sure different than mine. I just returned from a visit and none of my finds were from a river. Check out my post a week or 2 ago titled "Florida On My Own"'. Here are just a few examples of many finds that day. All were found driving the back roads of Florida!!!

2020-01-039.jpg.f2cfc6b6dc876f5df2aae1208d03786a.jpg

2020-01-026.thumb.jpg.f2aedb7aaa7539a186e49e565bdbd626.jpg

2020-01-049.jpg.2f868cc82386d5df8721aa4e6e616966.jpg

59 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Your experiences in Florida are sure different than mine. I just returned from a visit and none of my finds were from a river. Check out my post a week or 2 ago titled "Florida On My Own"'. Here are just a few examples of many finds that day. All were found driving the back roads of Florida!!!

2020-01-039.jpg.f2cfc6b6dc876f5df2aae1208d03786a.jpg

2020-01-026.thumb.jpg.f2aedb7aaa7539a186e49e565bdbd626.jpg

2020-01-049.jpg.2f868cc82386d5df8721aa4e6e616966.jpg

Now that I’ve looked it up, I did see your post when I was reading the other day. I then read a different forum post about how getting near or in the phosphate mines is impossible. What are you exactly searching at these housing developments? Just digging around their properties? And the road cuts? In our area, we can’t just explore road cuts unless you are in the deep keweenaw where you may not see someone for hours + . Same goes for the mines, almost all ours are inactive so it is very easy to snoop around and even go to the tailings. 

also, amazing stuff you found!

All of my hunting was on road right of ways in the phosphate district or in new housing developments where the local community was already using the land for pleasure like dog walking, bike riding, etc. Major construction was over, but the sites had left over piles of "fill" or "fossil" depending on your perspective.  "No trespass" signs were not displayed.