Ferns and More Ferns

Righteous

Little intro into why this find was important, 

when young we played and hunted in the old coal mine pits, I would shift through the slate and find fossils and throw them aside as then I didn’t care. 
Today I met a man who’s company owns mineral rights to all those places I used to go to. After he does his work he walks around the slate and picks up fossils. 
I bought a couple from him but then he started giving me a lot of them. I have this nice collection in hand now of ferns and different types of them.  All this I remember from those days. 
i will have to post better pics of them later. 
he has two Huge plates I really wanted but he wouldn’t part with them. They actually had little footprints going across them. I been drooling over them ever since. 

D8705028-727F-48A1-9610-345AC712E8E1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Plants just make me drool. That Lepidodendron is so sweet!

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Coincidentally, 11 years ago I traded for a bunch of similar specimens from a gentleman in Alabama.  Small world: from your description it sounds like the same person (Bill L.) 

Congrats on a very nice assortment of Alabama Carboniferous plants! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

35 minutes ago, piranha said:

Coincidentally, 11 years ago I traded for a bunch of similar specimens from a gentleman in Alabama.  Small world: from your description it sounds like the same person (Bill L.) 

Congrats on a very nice assortment of Alabama Carboniferous plants! :fistbump:

Wow the same gentleman. A very nice man. 
Are you in Alabama?

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice collection! It sure would be good to see some close-ups of them.

I second that!

Mark.

Yes more pics, please.

Wow, some of us have trouble getting into the sites. This guy delivers them to you! :raindance:

A fertile Pecopteris as well. Very cool.

Mark.

The detail on some of those is just stunning! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

They are superb.:wub:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Outstanding! I especially like that that big Lepidodendron. Alabama is clearly blessed with a bounty of fossil plants based on what I have seen posted on this site. 

Yes, I have quite a few that I have gotten from Bill as well.  Nice detail pieces he finds. :dinothumb:

Thanks for taking the close up pics! They really show how outstanding your ferns are!!!

Mike

On 1/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, Righteous said:

29603729-26-DE-4-F52-812-C-8654-D59209-E  1387-AD73-0738-488-D-873-E-A914-E54-AF2- 88-C652-A2-D3-C9-4-F74-BECA-E419-F879-BF

These are some nice examples of Lyginopteris-type foliage, complete with characteristic "spiny/thorny" rachides and sphenopterid pinnules. While their appearance may resemble a fern frond, they actually belong to the pteridosperms, specifically the (appropriately named) Lyginopteridales order. Where ferns produce spores, these plants bore ovules and pollen organs, i.e. their reproductive biology was very different (early gymnosperms). Unfortunately, it is not easy to find literature focusing on impression/compression fossils of the foliage, especially online, but, if you're able to obtain it, the following paper is rather useful: Patteisky, K. (1957) Die phylogenetische Entwicklung der Arten von Lyginopteris und ihre Bedeutung für die Stratigraphie. Mitteilungen der Westfälischen Berggewerkschaftskasse Bochum 12, pp. 59–83.

Alternatively, the following web pages could be quite helpful:

TFF member @docdutronc has a very nice page on Lyginopteris-type foliage on the French forum: https://forums-naturalistes.forums-actifs.com/t4310-lyginopteris-potonie-1897

TFF member @Rockin' Ric shows a good example from Alabama here in the Galleries: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/22368-ferns/

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.