WARNING! Fossil Exports from Morocco

Tidgy's Dad

Well, i did hear a while ago that Morocco were thinking of becoming more serious on their 'cultural heritage' laws. 

I hope this is just an isolated case from the Spanish side and not the beginning of a trend. 

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/01/291089/spanish-airport-moroccan-fossils/

• I found this Informative 7

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If Moroccan authorities decided to prosecute every tourist who buys fossils from vendors in Morocco when they leave the country with their purchases, what would be the impact on tourism?  If they decided to ban the export of all fossils, regardless of their common-ness, what would it cost the Moroccan economy?  Maybe they could fill their museums with thousands of Geesops, while ruining the livelihood of the people who dig up/prepare/sell fossils to tourists and collectors.

I have no problem with protecting actually rare/scientifically valuable specimens, but a blanket prosecution of the fossil trade will (I think) have a bad impact on the country.

Don

• I found this Informative 7

35 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

If Moroccan authorities decided to prosecute every tourist who buys fossils from vendors in Morocco when they leave the country with their purchases, what would be the impact on tourism?  If they decided to ban the export of all fossils, regardless of their common-ness, what would it cost the Moroccan economy?  Maybe they could fill their museums with thousands of Geesops, while ruining the livelihood of the people who dig up/prepare/sell fossils to tourists and collectors.

I have no problem with protecting actually rare/scientifically valuable specimens, but a blanket prosecution of the fossil trade will (I think) have a bad impact on the country.

Don

For sure it will.

I have posted this before :

https://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/200902/morocco.s.trilobite.economy.htm

And that was 10 years ago, it's got to be a lot more people employed and money earned today.

But here the warning I gave is perhaps aimed more at people entering or leaving Spain with fossils. 

They seem to be taking Moroccan law more seriously than perhaps the Moroccans are themselves. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like a local spanish customs issue.   My guess is that the Tucson show in a couple of weeks will be full of moroccan fossils both real and fake.

• I found this Informative 1

The first article stated that the traveler did not declare the fossils to customs. It could have been a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes. If you don't declare something, you are breaking the law. That's probably what drew the increased scrutiny and legal jeopardy. If he/she had declared the fossils, they might have sailed right through customs without any problems. Perhaps the guilty party was trying to evade import duties on the value of the items.

Morocco has long been debating a change in the laws regarding cultural properties. Meteorites recently came under the microscope and changes were made to the laws (although export is still legal - there is just more paperwork now).

I’m guessing in the next upcoming weeks fossil dealers will be selling a lot of Morocco material. After hearing about this trying to make as much money as they can.

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

entering or leaving Spain with fossils. 

They seem to be taking Moroccan law more seriously than perhaps the Moroccans are themselves. 

I think you nailed it ...

Not the first exemple of spanich zeal, all the more heated up by their extremely restrictive laws ...