Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Dinco

Going on a 3 day canoeing/camping trip this weekend with my 3 boys. Was curious if anyone had any luck with Sharks teeth and or any other type fossils on the Withlacoochee river. The area we're putting in at is in Sumter county and heading north. Obviously since the river flows north. :-) Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

 

Also, if anyone is in the central Florida area and would like to get together on a trip please let me know. Thanks for the read.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hokietech96

I found this for you.  Hope it helps

Location

In channel of Withlacoochee River about 10 miles southeast of Dunnellon, Marion County, Florida; 28.98° N, 82.32° W.

Age

  • Early Pleistocene Epoch; later half of Blancan land mammal age
  • About 1.9 to 2.2 million years old

Fossils

Complete Faunal Fossil List (Click to view)

(†=extinct species; *=species no longer living in Florida)

Bony Fish (Osteichthyes)
Lepomis microlophus
Ictaluridae

Amphibians (Amphibia)
Rana sp., probably Rana capito
Scaphiopus holbrooki
Bufo cf. defensor
Siren sp.

Reptiles (Reptilia)
Lampropeltinae and/or Colubrinae (likely > 1 sp.)
Natricinae
Xenodontinae
Agkistrodon sp.
Crotalus sp.
Chelydridae
Kinosternon sp.
Sternotherus sp.
Pseudemys sp.
Terrapene carolina
Gopherus polyphemus
Hesperotestudo (Hesperotestudomlynarskii
Hesperotestudo (Caudochelys) n. sp.
Alligator mississippiensis

Birds (Aves)
Meleagris anza
Colinus suilium

Mammals (Mammalia)
Dasypus bellus
Holmesina floridanus
Megalonyx leptostomus
Paramylodon harlani
Canis edwardii
Canis sp., probably
Canis lepophagus
Procyon sp.
Mustela sp., cf. M. frenata
Miracinonyx inexpectata
Lynx rexroadensis
Lynx rufus
Smilodon gracilis
Xenosmilus hodsonae
Soricidae, cf. Cryptotis sp.
Myotis sp.
Sylvilagus floridanus
Sylvilagus webbi
Aztlanolagus n. sp.
Sciurus carolinensis
Orthogeomys propinetis
Sigmodontinae, Peromyscini
Arvicolinae
Erethizon kleini
Neochoerus dichroplax
Tapirus lundeliusi
Nannippus peninsulatus
Equus (Plesippus) sp.
Platygonus bicalcaratus
Hemiauchenia macrocephala
Hemiauchenia gracilis
Capromeryx arizonensis
Odocoileus virginianus
†cf. Mammut sp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

You'll have a nice float with plenty of wildlife (even in this off season); but, don't expect beaches or exposed gravel bars.  This is a karstic stream with an incised bed.  It's black water in a wet season.  You may be able to find shallow stretches with gravel which you can sift for fossils.  Good hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

I have some agatized coral which is purported to come out of the Withlacoochie river, although I don't know from where and my information is second hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis
1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I have some agatized coral which is purported to come out of the Withlacoochie river, although I don't know from where and my information is second hand.

 

Believe it or not,  there are TWO Withlacoochee Rivers in Florida.  It is the northern Withlacoochee, a tributary of the Suwannee River, that has the bulk of the agatized coral.  The southern Withlacoochee is a north-flowing stream in West Central Florida that empties into the Gulf of Mexico at Yankeetown/Inglis, the echinoid mecca.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker

You should search this forum for Withlacoochee and agatized to find those corals much more localized in the Northern Withlacoochee. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annaapple11
8 hours ago, Dinco said:

Going on a 3 day canoeing/camping trip this weekend with my 3 boys. Was curious if anyone had any luck with Sharks teeth and or any other type fossils on the Withlacoochee river. The area we're putting in at is in Sumter county and heading north. Obviously since the river flows north. :-) Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

 

Also, if anyone is in the central Florida area and would like to get together on a trip please let me know. Thanks for the read.  

Where will you be going on the river? We might want to join ! :) we were looking to go to the Peace River but wouldn’t mine trying the Withlacoochee. We’d just need to rent a kayak or canoe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sacha
1 hour ago, annaapple11 said:

Where will you be going on the river? We might want to join ! :) we were looking to go to the Peace River but wouldn’t mine trying the Withlacoochee. We’d just need to rent a kayak or canoe! 

 

Anna, skip the With. Much too much travel to find anything fossil wise. Nice river in spots though. 

 

For your short stay, work the Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annaapple11
29 minutes ago, Sacha said:

 

Anna, skip the With. Much too much travel to find anything fossil wise. Nice river in spots though. 

 

For your short stay, work the Peace.

Okay, John! I trust your advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dinco

 Would you mind sharing any of those peaceful spots along the river that might be worth a hunt ?  Appreciate any help in advance   

 

 I would have to agree with the advice to head to the peace river instead.  If I had the time to run down there I would definitely do that instead.  The reason that the Withlacoochee is attractive to me is because I only live about 15 minutes away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dinco
On 1/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, Harry Pristis said:

You'll have a nice float with plenty of wildlife (even in this off season); but, don't expect beaches or exposed gravel bars.  This is a karstic stream with an incised bed.  It's black water in a wet season.  You may be able to find shallow stretches with gravel which you can sift for fossils.  Good hunting!

This was very useful and I appreciate you taking the time to reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dinco
On 1/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, hokietech96 said:

I found this for you.  Hope it helps

Location

In channel of Withlacoochee River about 10 miles southeast of Dunnellon, Marion County, Florida; 28.98° N, 82.32° W.

Age

  • Early Pleistocene Epoch; later half of Blancan land mammal age
  • About 1.9 to 2.2 million years old

Fossils

Complete Faunal Fossil List (Click to view)

(†=extinct species; *=species no longer living in Florida)

Bony Fish (Osteichthyes)
Lepomis microlophus
Ictaluridae

Amphibians (Amphibia)
Rana sp., probably Rana capito
Scaphiopus holbrooki
Bufo cf. defensor
Siren sp.

Reptiles (Reptilia)
Lampropeltinae and/or Colubrinae (likely > 1 sp.)
Natricinae
Xenodontinae
Agkistrodon sp.
Crotalus sp.
Chelydridae
Kinosternon sp.
Sternotherus sp.
Pseudemys sp.
Terrapene carolina
Gopherus polyphemus
Hesperotestudo (Hesperotestudomlynarskii
Hesperotestudo (Caudochelys) n. sp.
Alligator mississippiensis

Birds (Aves)
Meleagris anza
Colinus suilium

Mammals (Mammalia)
Dasypus bellus
Holmesina floridanus
Megalonyx leptostomus
Paramylodon harlani
Canis edwardii
Canis sp., probably
Canis lepophagus
Procyon sp.
Mustela sp., cf. M. frenata
Miracinonyx inexpectata
Lynx rexroadensis
Lynx rufus
Smilodon gracilis
Xenosmilus hodsonae
Soricidae, cf. Cryptotis sp.
Myotis sp.
Sylvilagus floridanus
Sylvilagus webbi
Aztlanolagus n. sp.
Sciurus carolinensis
Orthogeomys propinetis
Sigmodontinae, Peromyscini
Arvicolinae
Erethizon kleini
Neochoerus dichroplax
Tapirus lundeliusi
Nannippus peninsulatus
Equus (Plesippus) sp.
Platygonus bicalcaratus
Hemiauchenia macrocephala
Hemiauchenia gracilis
Capromeryx arizonensis
Odocoileus virginianus
†cf. Mammut sp.

 Oh wow thank you very very much for taking the time to reply to my post and with some very insightful information.  I am fairly  new to fossil hunting and a sponge for information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis
2 hours ago, Dinco said:

 Oh wow thank you very very much for taking the time to reply to my post and with some very insightful information.  I am fairly  new to fossil hunting and a sponge for information.

 

You would need SCUBA gear, including a bright underwater light, to find a few representative scraps of this faunal list.  Allow plenty of time, or rely on phenomenal luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bone Daddy
3 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

 

You would need SCUBA gear, including a bright underwater light, to find a few representative scraps of this faunal list.  Allow plenty of time, or rely on phenomenal luck.  

 

Agreed. That part of the Withlacoochee has been dredged. Wide and deep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bone Daddy

I've been eyeballing the Withlacoochee for some time myself. I live about 45 minutes from the Withlacoochee, but about 1.5 to 2 hours from the Peace. But, from everything I have read, the Withlacoochee is not very fossiliferous in the same sense that the Peace is. No matter which stretch of it you choose to hunt, you'll need some luck as Harry said - especially the deeper parts as you move west towards the coast and Yankeetown. I've been hiking along the Withlacoochee, but have not paddled it yet. From what I could see, it reminded me a lot of the Hillsborough River - lots of inundated cypress forest with very little dry banks or places to get out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×