Introducing kids to fossils

Dave Lewis

I have triplet grandchildren, almost 6 yrs old, who are ripe for discovering stuff.  I've dabbled with flintknapping and have a couple purchased fossils that they are interested in. I am looking for some small fossil material that hasn't been cleaned so that they (and I) can "discover" the ancient creatures and research their known history.  This material needn't contain complete specimens...I'm thinking maybe whole or partial trilobites, etc.  I have some appropriate working tools.  We are a bit north of San Francisco and not not close to any good collecting location. online has lots of prepped fossils but I'd like to get some as-found stuff.  Any suggestions for finding this kind of thing online?

Please PM me with any info. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dave Lewis said:

I have triplet grandchildren, almost 6 yrs old, who are ripe for discovering stuff.  I've dabbled with flintknapping and have a couple purchased fossils that they are interested in. I am looking for some small fossil material that hasn't been cleaned so that they (and I) can "discover" the ancient creatures and research their known history.  This material needn't contain complete specimens...I'm thinking maybe whole or partial trilobites, etc.  I have some appropriate working tools.  We are a bit north of San Francisco and not not close to any good collecting location. online has lots of prepped fossils but I'd like to get some as-found stuff.  Any suggestions for finding this kind of thing online?

Please PM me with any info. 

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum, Dave. :) 

Please note, entrance into the Member to Member Sales Forum is a delayed permission. 

This was instituted to keep commercial sellers and spammers off of the Forum.

After a reasonable number of substantive posts, you will be granted access to that Forum. 

Discussion of sales or selling outside of that Forum is not allowed. 

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.  

Welcome again. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"Fossiling for Children" is a post I put up that shows what I would recommend for 6 year olds. Get some sharks teeth or any other fossil to your liking and put them inside the man made matrix. The boys will have a ball breaking open the "rocks".

While I have not yet tried @minnbuckeyes man made fossil rocks, I have in the past purchased those “dig kits” for my 4 year old son. He loved them.

BTW... I love minnbuckeye’s idea of making them yourself, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. My son tends to grab his share (and maybe a little more...) of my finds before I can do anything with them. Lol 

Here is a link to his post. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• JohnJ locked this topic