Display cases

Ruger9a

Hello all.  I am interested if anyone else is having problems with the new, snap close, mini-display cases.  I am also wondering if the residue also damages the fossils.  I've removed all of my small fossils from these cases until I hear more from the forum.

20200102_093856 (2).jpg

20200102_093944 (2).jpg

I put small dinosaur teeth in them and have not seen any problems for that application.  When you say "new " is there something new about yours than the ones I have.  Mine are black and look a little different.

The cases "cloud up" with a film that makes them unusable.  Not all of them though.  As Troodon stated above I don't seem have this problem with small. cleaned and lightly waxed teeth - yet.  I have only been using these for about a year now and so far three have done the same thing.  I seem to have this problem with raw, uncleaned small fossils that I don't want to expose to moisture.  I'm not sure if the film/cloud has negatively impacting my fossils and am wondering if anyone else is having this problem and what they did to resolve it.       

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I put small dinosaur teeth in them and have not seen any problems for that application.  When you say "new " is there something new about yours than the ones I have.  Mine are black and look a little different.

I don't know where or when you purchased your cases so it's difficult for me to compare.  I ordered a four pack from a US seller and a six pack directly from a china seller.  I put them all in a box until I inventoried my smaller and unidentified fossils draw so I can't say which is which.  I should note that while in the draw all fossils were in zip-lock bags and they didn't have residue in them.

Sounds like your fossils are outgassing and it is reacting to the film.  I have had limited experience with these membrane boxes and the ones I have used did not do what yours are.

I wonder if some of the film's have a different chemical makeup and you got some bad ones. :zzzzscratchchin:

BTW, your "U.S seller" boxes were likely manufactured in China too. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I agree, that's why I researched them on line and found the exact same box (physically anyway) for a lower price and got two extra.  I have been looking at several sellers the last two days to see if these types for cases are made of different film materials and it seems like they may be.  I have asked them to tell me what materials the films are comprised of and am waiting for responses from them - they are all located in China...……  Will update as information becomes available.

4 hours ago, connorp said:

Yes I've had that problem with those. I thought it was dust but it doesn't really want to wipe off.

connorp did you wash all the fossils you put into these cases?  I did not wash/clean some of mine as I didn't want to take the chance because of their delicate condition.  All my washed and lightly waxed teeth still seem to be doing fine, but I took them out just in case.

33 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

connorp did you wash all the fossils you put into these cases?  I did not wash/clean some of mine as I didn't want to take the chance because of their delicate condition.  All my washed and lightly waxed teeth still seem to be doing fine, but I took them out just in case.

No. I only use these for very thin fossils, and I don't wash those. But the two I currently have on display came from very different locations so doubtful they both have the same whatever to cause this.

I bought 6 of these frames this past July. They were bought at our local show. I put some of my sharkteeth in them and they seem fine.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I’ve got several of these. Some have fossils some amber some other items. None of them have done this. most Of the fossils are raw and unwashed some with paraloid and some without. All mine are from u.s. sellers....

I don't think where the sellers are from matters diddly squat.  They are only middlemen that get them from somewhere else.

Origin of manufacture is what you need to concern yourselves with and I would rather imagine most if not all are from Chinese factories.

I doubt you will be able to track down who makes an inferior membrane film from another.  If that's even the cause of the clouding.

Ruger,  have you tried different fossils in the ones that do that, to see if it's the membrane or the items in between that is the root cause?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

have you tried different fossils in the ones that do that, to see if it's the membrane or the items in between that is the root cause?

That's the point to clarify first....

Some possible reasons:

- failure in production of the cases (wrong chemistry causing outgasing)

- micro-organisms on the fossil causing the "dust" (molds)

- chemistry on the fossil causing the "dust" (conservation liquids; chemistry at the location where fossil was found e.g. gasoline, dumped chemistry...)

- chemistry in the fossil or matrix (sometimes depending on the location some fossils have special chemistry due to diagenesis or special conditions at the location where they were found e.g. Rancho la Brea..)

- reaction between case and fossil caused by direct contact due to chemical reactions...

I've bought mine direct from China through our favorite auction site.    Those that describe the membrane call it PET, basically polyethylene so it should be fine with anything put against it.  My guess it's not the display case but other factors.

Thanks all.  I threw the clouded/molded cases out - just in case.  I may have panicked after what happened to my coin collection in the 80s/early 90s in the full view polyurethane windows and flips.  Almost everything was damaged/lost.  I didn't want to reuse the damaged cases just in case some chemicals have leached into them.  I plan to purchase more and this time I'll keep track/notes of what type of fossil is inserted and weather if I've washed them.

3 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I may have panicked after what happened to my coin collection in the 80s/early 90s in the full view polyurethane windows and flips.  Almost everything was damaged/lost. 

PVC damage has ruined many a good coin, and it's effects can still be felt in the world of numismatics. I probably would have panicked as well!  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)