Show us your fossils through a macro lens.

Bobby Rico

@Nimravis cheers Ralph for adding your cool photos to my thread. I really like the crystals and sea cucumber’s gob. What equipment do you use?  

16 minutes ago, digit said:

botryoidal mineral form.

Thanks Ken I thought that too.

it is pretty and off putting at the same time. Worth taking home I think.:dinothumb:

Guaranteed. Any oddity form a site is always worth pocketing and giving a closer look. I've got some botryoidal common opal covering the inside of a nice hollow piece of silicified fossilized coral that we collected several years back with forum member @Sacha. He was nice enough to cut and polish that one which is displayed proudly with several other pieces from that trip.

Cheers.

-Ken

Trying to find an old thread (unsuccessfully) here where I may have posted a photo already. I'll have to try to remember to grab a nice photo when I get back home. Currently up in Chicago enjoying some un-Florida weather--22F and a good chance of snow. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Nimravis cheers Ralph for adding your cool photos to my thread. I really like the crystals and sea cucumber’s gob. What equipment do you use?  

I have 2 stereoscopes and one digital scope. I believe these pictures were taken with a Bausch and Lomb stereoscope that I bought a couple months ago at Goodwill for $20. I then bought a digital camera that fit in the lens to take the pictures.

• I found this Informative 1

58 minutes ago, digit said:

Trying to find an old thread (unsuccessfully) here where I may have posted a photo already. I'll have to try to remember to grab a nice photo when I get back home. Currently up in Chicago enjoying some un-Florida weather--22F and a good chance of snow. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

We are getting it Ken, should start around 3 pm today- but the last two storms never happened, so that may be the case this time.

On 15/01/2020 at 2:14 PM, Fossildude19 said:

It is a personal choice, but, I like to do it. I have found Fossil Forum images all over the web, and I would as least like to let people know who took them. ;) 

I use a free editing software called Photoscape, to do any post processing and watermarking. It is an easy, intuitive tool, with tons of excellent features, for making your pictures better. 

Not as confusing as some of the other editing software out there. 

I also seen some of my images form TFF used in other people’s blogs on the net. I have never been asked if they can be used and the forum was not sited .

Okay, now these are not the greatest pics, I used my I Phone to shot the close up pics through one of my stereoscopes, tomorrow if I have time I will hook a digital camera onto the scope for proper pics. The other unfortunate thing is that I do not have stacking ability as some of the other members do, but with that said, I hardly take pics of these small fossils.

Here are three very small teeth that I found in some Sharktooth Hill matrix that I received from Doren @caldigger.

10092DD1-D2CE-4C3B-B5C9-CB17613175C9.thumb.jpeg.cdc134488b21be562c9c86a606404a34.jpegF5A23201-A41E-4CB1-94C8-F039AA658215.thumb.jpeg.ca83ef8a3710002f4f13d7a26dd473a8.jpeg

Inspired by @Nimravis crystals inside of a small Pennsylvanian brachiopod  I was wondering have any more of you got crystals growing inside a fossil ? If you have please post here with some nice Marco images. I will second Ralph’s with an theropod indet from Morocco, I hope you like this little toothy geode .

A5BDE851-5FF7-4CB4-87F9-8CD9D05A0615.jpeg

D2A563FE-E704-488A-A026-D391EDDC051E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Here are three very small teeth that I found in some Sharktooth Hill matrix that I received from Doren @caldigger.

You've got to love the color on STH material. The teeth pictured appear to be (in order): Tope Shark (Galeorhinus sp.), Stingray (Dasyatis sp.), and Basking Shark (Cetorhinus sp.).

I know there are a number of free versions of focus stacking software (though I have not tried any and cannot personally vouch for them). Try an internet search for "free focus stacking software" and see what you term up. If you find one that works well, let us know here as I think others would love to have this capability to produce micro-photos free from the effects of limited depth of field. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, digit said:

You've got to love the color on STH material. The teeth pictured appear to be (in order): Tope Shark (Galeorhinus sp.), Stingray (Dasyatis sp.), and Basking Shark (Cetorhinus sp.).

I know there are a number of free versions of focus stacking software (though I have not tried any and cannot personally vouch for them). Try an internet search for "free focus stacking software" and see what you term up. If you find one that works well, let us know here as I think others would love to have this capability to produce micro-photos free from the effects of limited depth of field. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken, I will try a search and if I find something that works for me I will let you know.

Looking through some of my fossil with the macro lens I found quite a few stowaways. So let’s see some of your hitchhikers.  

First up is an Anadara sp from Japan with I don’t know ? 

paucicrura rogata - minnesota usa

with an ostracod I think.

The following bivalve is a Trigonia costata with attached oyster and tube worm but I forgot to photograph it , I will add later. Middle Jurassic Bajocian humphriesianum zone at the Kahlenberg in Ringsheim, southwest Germany , 

Dactylioceras Cf Athleticum

with a worm tube

Ilminster Somerset.uk

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D7BC6551-EAAB-4D1B-A370-8E0A5D8C9E07.jpeg

011FAA6D-2135-459B-9470-EF3906E108C6.jpeg

7C0518FF-846D-4454-BDFC-99AE532D8AA8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

27 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

First up is an Anadara sp from Japan with I don’t know ?

Looks to be a single polyp of a coral recruit.

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, digit said:

Looks to be a single polyp of a coral recruit.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken I really appreciate your input to my thread. Been really dyslexic I can’t learn from books so therefore I am a visual person and this wry I am enjoying everyones contribution to this thread so much.

cheers Bobby 

I have a friend who is dyslexic and also never properly developed stereo vision. Didn't stop her from being one of the leading coral marine-biologists and from driving (despite her depth perception issues). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken