Bobby Rico

Show us your fossils through a macro lens.

Ruger9a

Bobby, yes I have done two fossils so far.  I quickly found out I cannot hold the macro lens in my hand as all the photos are blurry.  The stand setup works great - once you get the fossil focused in.  I obviously need more practice:)  This once did come out OK.  Will post the photos once I find them again.....

Bobby Rico
16 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Bobby, yes I have done two fossils so far.  I quickly found out I cannot hold the macro lens in my hand as all the photos are blurry.  The stand setup works great - once you get the fossil focused in.  I obviously need more practice:)  This once did come out OK.  Will post the photos once I find them again.....

Yeah definitely takes practice and of course good light to get good pictures. Looking forward to seeing yours.  :popcorn:

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

Here is a Knightia Eocena fossil fish head from the Green River Formation

FullSizeR.jpg

Peat Burns
11 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

And finely in my opinion the best thinking to photograph is Hash plates .

mid-Devonian from Hungry Hollow  . It is packed with little critters included in a fantastic brachiopod Devonalosia

3F0A88C1-9432-4A64-831A-032BFE617EF2.jpeg

Bobby, do you happen to know what this is?  I found something similar recently in similarly-aged rock.

caldigger
4 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I quickly found out I cannot hold the macro lens in my hand as all the photos are blurry.  The stand setup works great - once you get the fossil focused in.  I obviously need more practice:)  This once did come out OK.  Will post the photos once I find them again.....

What stand setup would that be?

Bobby Rico
2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Bobby, do you happen to know what this is?  I found something similar recently in similarly-aged rock.

Hi Tony

My Item you asked about  it's a little specimen of the productid brachiopod Devonalosia wrightorum and from mid-Devonian from Hungry Hollow

Bobby Rico
1 hour ago, Huntonia said:

This topic gave me the motivation to try something I've been wanting to do for a little while,

They worked well and I really like the rib pictures detail . Thanks for adding to my thread.

Bobby Rico
5 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Here is a Knightia Eocena fossil fish head from the Green River Formation

Nice image almost like an abstract painting. Thank you for sharing.

Bobby Rico
2 minutes ago, Dinoguy89 said:

piece of Baltic Amber with a nicely preserved spider (Araneae sp.), leaf and Midge.

Great details you captured. It is not easy to photograph Amber . Thanks for adding to my post.

Bob Saunders

When you said Macro lens I thought back to m 35 MM film day's with a lens that has a macro focus range. Which leaves a narrow depth of field. My Nikon 775 digital camera does real nice with the flower setting on a tripod. These pictures are buried on this forum so I will post them again. My simple set up. I have several sizes of the kitchen racks and often have to raise them with books. The Grip it, goes back to my insects and butter fly day's. The LED table lamp is by OTT light. The two clamp lights are made by Life Gear. 

059..JPG

060..JPG

Ruger9a
4 hours ago, caldigger said:

What stand setup would that be?

My portable microscope (Discovery Veho VMS-004 deluxe) came with an adjustable (small) stand.  It works fine, just have to readjust with every fossil movement.  If you have a steady hand you can use just the microscope.    

20200115_053922 (2).jpg

20200115_053949 (2).jpg

Ruger9a

Here are the photos I've taken.

Fish closeup1.jpg

Fish closeup2 (2).jpg

Fish closeup4.jpg

Fish closeup5 (2).jpg

Ruger9a
56 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great topic, Bobby! Thanks for starting it. :) 

I've posted this elsewhere, but it is one of my nicer macro photos.

Coprolite from the Permian of Waurika, Oklahoma. 

UploadDSCN6339.thumb.JPG.ed1ee42bd5e70795340ab1f0a6aaf6c0.jpg

For those interested, links to my topics on this material. 

LINK 1

LINK 2

Tim, outstanding fossil.  I noticed you have your name on the photos posted both here and in the links.  Is this something we all should be doing?  Just wondering.

FossilNerd

Nice thread Bobby! :thumbsu: I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I'm looking at getting one of those small USB digital microscopes so hopefully I can contribute soon.  

FossilNerd
3 minutes ago, Kane said:

I use the Olympus TG-5 with one of its macro/micro settings, with in-built focus stacking for all things small, living or long dead.

Now that is some detail!:default_faint: