Show us your fossils through a macro lens.

Bobby Rico

I just clicked on Ken's link about chitinozoans - very interesting!  So, they may have been containers to hold eggs of marine organisms that lived in the Paleozoic, but they're still not entirely sure - cool stuff!

• I found this Informative 1

Nice chitinozoan pic,Adam

NB:they are hugely important in paleozoic biostratigraphy,assessment of thermal maturity of geological formations and,in some cases ecologically (possibly )significant(teratologies,process lengths biometry,diversity dynamics)

edit: feel i have to clarify/ amplify a bit: well preserved chitinozoa can exhibit quite lengthy processes

chidegrauwthesnie.jpg

process10wwu00 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Yesterday on the hill. Very lonely. Fossil hash, with lot's of dirt still coming off in the ultrasonic. 

20200404_131903.jpg

20200404_131922.jpg

@Peat Burns beautiful images . @ricardo @Tidgy's Dad @Bob Saunders thank you all very much for add your great photos to my thread and keeping it going. It really is much appreciated . As a thank you this is probably two of my favourite fossils in my collection the claw I have had for 20 years and the lovely tooth was give me by @caldigger. Dimetrodon, Ryan formation, Permian, Jefferson Co, Oklahoma .

Dimetrodon is in my opinion the great creature to walk on this planet . 

45E6E745-BE11-4C71-80EF-3F6A97655587.jpeg

472AD515-C69C-4379-B81F-4A1D4A849BF0.jpeg

Xenocrinus baeri columnals. Unusual to have square crinoid stems. 

These are just over a mm across for the biggest ones. 

Xenocrinus.thumb.jpg.cfc2f10635d7b6ca97f581e0b4efa4c7.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

above the shell is a Fossil Bryozoan, Fenestella sp. forming a slight curve. 3/16th or 0.5 cm. Mississippian to 480 myo. Social distancing. 2nd image at 9 o'clock is before cleaning. 

DSCN4738.jpg

20200410_121422.jpg

How did you ever spot that?  :DOH:

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Thought I might join the fun. Here's a cluster of Eurypterid eggs, algae, spores, tiny alien spaceships. These were found in the Silurian of Ridgemount Quarry in Fort Erie, Canada. Just North of Bufffalo, New York. Note that the entire cluster is only 1mm.

Tom

RQ31Y.JPG

RQ31Z.JPG

RQ31X.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

1 hour ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Thought I might join the fun. Here's a cluster of Eurypterid eggs, algae, spores, tiny alien spaceships. These were found in the Silurian of Ridgemount Quarry in Fort Erie, Canada. Just North of Bufffalo, New York. Note that the entire cluster is only 1mm.

Wow that’s probably one coolest additions to this thread. Very interesting and great close ups.

All the best Bobby 

On 09/04/2020 at 4:41 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Xenocrinus baeri columnals. Unusual to have square crinoid stems. 

These are just over a mm across for the biggest ones. 

Where is it from? Hash plates are so fun to photograph. I hope you ,wifey and tidgy are safe and well. We did a pub quiz online and one of the questions was where is the oldest university in the world and the answers is? 

all the best Bobby and Mrs R

18 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow that’s probably one coolest additions to this thread. Very interesting and great close ups.

All the best Bobby 

Thanks Bobby.

I always examine my prepped specimens pretty thoroughly so I tend to discover tiny things. This particular specimen has stumped even the Eurypterid expert, Sam Ciurca. He's the one that suggested algae. The picture that shows a circular view was shot while hand holding a point and shoot camera up to a microscope eyepiece.

I've got a 1mm horn coral somewhere. When I find it I will post pictures.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Where is it from? Hash plates are so fun to photograph. I hope you ,wifey and tidgy are safe and well. We did a pub quiz online and one of the questions was where is the oldest university in the world and the answers is? 

all the best Bobby and Mrs R

It's from St. Leon, Indiana, in a wonderful hash sent to me by Ralph. @Nimravis

I'm still working on exposing more pieces on it, and have found four species of bryozoan, six species of brachiopod, four species of crinoid as well as two trilobite pygidiums, three cephalons, a free cheek piece and some bits of Isotelus, I think.   

For more details, have a look at the last page here : 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/78974-adams-ordovician/&page=14

And yes, the University of al-Qarawiyyin, in Fes Medina, is the oldest in the world. It is also linked to one of the holiest mosques In the Islamic World, which is a place of pilgramage (but not now!) and an ancient library with many amazing ancient scholarly and religious texts. It was founded by Fatima al-Fihri in the year 859. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

How did you ever spot that?  :DOH:

Tom

Hi Tom, if you are asking about my fossil with the Brachiopd a man from church dug his farm pond with his crane now around 12 feet deep in places.. large row of piles of sand, clay and rocks and fossil. Some around 10 feet high so I am mostly using a small child's rakes to pull down the sand to check for goodies. As the weather improves I will be back with my screens to check for items. near my house so just go as things permit. 

I will add that all cleaning has been done with a spear shaped larger Xacto blade with magnifiers and a small ultra sonic cleaner. It was pretty covered up.

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

Hi Tom, if you are asking about my fossil with the Brachiopd a man from church dug his farm pond with his crane now around 12 feet deep in places.. large row of piles of sand, clay and rocks and fossil. Some around 10 feet high so I am mostly using a small child's rakes to pull down the sand to check for goodies. As the weather improves I will be back with my screens to check for items. near my house so just go as things permit. 

Hi Bob.

I was actually referring to Ricardo's 1mm tooth in a coprolite. After being away for a few years I'm a little rusty with my posting.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's from St. Leon, Indiana, in a wonderful hash sent to me by Ralph. @Nimravis

I'm still working on exposing more pieces on it, and have found four species of bryozoan, six species of brachiopod, four species of crinoid as well as two trilobite pygidiums, three cephalons, a free cheek piece and some bits of Isotelus, I think.   

For more details, have a look at the last page here : 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/78974-adams-ordovician/&page=14

And yes, the University of al-Qarawiyyin, in Fes Medina, is the oldest in the world. It is also linked to one of the holiest mosques In the Islamic World, which is a place of pilgramage (but not now!) and an ancient library with many amazing ancient scholarly and religious texts. It was founded by Fatima al-Fihri in the year 859. 

Cheers mate

• 2 weeks later...

two from Sunday. not sure what type of Brachiopods they are? 0 .8 cm average width.    #2  1st image has pyrites on one area. 

20200427_135612.jpg

20200427_135655.jpg

20200427_135906.jpg

20200427_135940.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

a fragment of encrusting holdfasts. It's kind of like a root that grows around an object, which holds the crinoid in place. Allegan County, Mich. 0. 4 cm or 1/8th inch 

20200428_110920.jpg

20200428_110806.jpg

20200428_111110.jpg

Thanks Bobby for starting this wonderful thread. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the photos and posts.

I took these pics with a $5.00 clip-onto-the-phone toy microscope, so I hope you won't mind the mushy quality of the images and will enjoy the photos anyway.  I'll start with simple crinoid bits found at Lake Michigan beaches.

Side of a worn crinoid stem with lovely beekite growing on it, which are too small to see by eye:

IMG_3941.thumb.jpeg.f2a31512a781ee268604f8bdbe6466e7.jpeg   

Here a couple of crinoid columnals with varied center pores:

IMG_3526.thumb.jpeg.a8508b3debdb2c206e4da8b5b9d15350.jpeg  5eac2eda07fe4_CrotalocrinitesIMG_1696jpeg.thumb.jpeg.4e535258bffc286eb780306124d8c4f5.jpeg  IMG_2749.thumb.jpeg.f938ca7ee76bc4a9f6a772da2f559413.jpeg  

And a close-up of a tiny (1cm tall) crinoid calyx (upside down):

5eac302ed21f9_calyxsideview.thumb.jpeg.a2b365f16b4411a712bb36857f79d298.jpeg 

2 minutes ago, Pippa said:

Thanks Bobby for starting this wonderful thread. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the photos and posts.

I took these pics with a $5.00 clip-onto-the-phone toy microscope, so I hope you won't mind the mushy quality of the images and will enjoy the photos anyway.  I'll start with simple crinoid bits found at Lake Michigan beaches.

Wow no thank you Pippa . Beautiful images and at a bargain price bit of kit. The little  crinoid calyx is beautiful.

all the best Bobby