Show us your fossils through a macro lens.

Bobby Rico

I don't have a macro lens since most of the pictures I take of my fossils are with my phone but I do have a biological microscope that works fairly well if you have small fossils placed on a slide here are some pictures I have taken:

IMG_20191203_153851.jpg

IMG_20191203_154215.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is a personal choice, but, I like to do it. I have found Fossil Forum images all over the web, and I would as least like to let people know who took them. ;) 

I use a free editing software called Photoscape, to do any post processing and watermarking. It is an easy, intuitive tool, with tons of excellent features, for making your pictures better. 

Not as confusing as some of the other editing software out there. 

Thanks Tim.  Wasn't sure if you did this to prevent people from reposting your photos and using them as they please?  I'll check into the PhotoScape software as my current software doesn't give me much in the way of editing capabilities.  Thanks again. 

51 minutes ago, Misha said:

I don't have a macro lens since most of the pictures I take of my fossils are with my phone but I do have a biological microscope that works fairly well if you have small fossils placed on a slide here are some pictures I have taken:

IMG_20191203_154215.jpg

Ostracods!!! :)

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

41 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks Tim.  Wasn't sure if you did this to prevent people from reposting your photos and using them as they please?  I'll check into the PhotoScape software as my current software doesn't give me much in the way of editing capabilities.  Thanks again. 

Yeah. I've noticed many images from the Forum on Pinterest, and other places.  <_<

I would hope that anyone wanting to use my images would ask permission first. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A few Macro items from the Hell Creek Formation

Fist image with a Digital Microscope

SalamenderJaw.thumb.jpg.2fa2bc162175536ec2f4e6784b97a323.jpg

The following are with a 35 mm Macro Lens

Trex3.thumb.jpg.38daf4845e92b7d7e066e792d5604b0e.jpg

NanotoothB1.thumb.jpg.73e066e60cf00be7085a875876b492a2.jpg

5e1f404c9bc6b_PectinodonHCPR2.thumb.jpg.6aed860af864fe9b0317974c7e7bd21e.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

A few Macro items from the Hell Creek Formation

Fist image with a Digital Microscope

The following are with a 35 mm Macro Lens

Fantastic pictures and beautiful fossils :fistbump:

Thanks everyone for making my thread interesting and given it some substance. 
I was really pleased to see different equipment been featured This makes my thread thank you@Bob Saunders I like your set up very inventive. @Ruger9a @digit nice set ups too and Ken I really love mole tooth super cool.  :envy:

@Kane wonderful photo . @Mishareally nice specimens and photos and they seem to have their own

parking spaces :D

@Troodon the salamander jaws is amazing and the tiny T.rex teeth are just wonderful. I like your graphic work too.

@Fossildude19 you don’t get to see Permian poop every day well we don’t. Nice specimens .

cheers Bobby 

Not technically a photograph, but I thought I'd throw in this image of late Neogene charcoalified wood that I recently took with the SEM 

Resized_PCS-sw137.5-stub-78-CS-DP-x270.thumb.jpeg.bdc67df11bfd35060f76f863e538377a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Not technically a photograph, but I thought I'd throw in this image of late Neogene charcoalified wood that I recently took with the SEM 

Electron? Photon? Ah, who's splittin' hairs here. :P

Gorgeous detail in that image. I once thought about buying a used SEM on our favorite auction site. Should have pulled the trigger--what images I could make. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

20 minutes ago, digit said:

Electron? Photon? Ah, who's splittin' hairs here. :P

Gorgeous detail in that image. I once thought about buying a used SEM on our favorite auction site. Should have pulled the trigger--what images I could make. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Whoa!  There was an SEM?  I bet that was a pretty penny.  Takes some special plumbing and wiring to hook-up, too!:)

Seems institutions and other owners of SEMs occasionally upgrade. The one I considered a few years back was only a few thousand which seemed (somewhat) reasonable at the time. ;)

There are probably still SEMs available on the secondary market.

Cheers.

-Ken

A little plant material wich always amazes me how an so delicate type of matter get preserved. I have a few pieces form coal seams that are now lost locations sadly  because the mines have closed .

Mariopteris sp.

from Upper Carboniferous - Crock Hey open cast, coal seam, Wigan Lancashire. Uk

Polymorphopteris sp. - Carboniferous,

from Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire

names may have changed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think a couple of these pictures are quite beautiful.

• I found this Informative 7

12 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Wonderful indeed ,  if you would like to show more of them SEM images please do.

On 15/01/2020 at 2:00 PM, FossilNerd said:

Nice thread Bobby! :thumbsu: I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I'm looking at getting one of those small USB digital microscopes so hopefully I can contribute soon.  

I also would love one too. I hope you do get one soon .  :dinothumb:

@Troodon Hi Frank I was not  sure what a pectinodon bakkeri was. I just looked it up and I thought it is quite an odd but cool looking critter. There teeth are also quite different and goes to show  "Good things come in small packages," . I imagine there are pretty rare find . The Latin translation is quite fitting to “comb tooth “. Very nice collection. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Troodon Hi Frank I was sure what a pectinodon bakkeri was. I just looked it up and I thought it is quite an old but cool looking critter. There teeth are also quite different and goes to show  "Good things come in small packages," . I imagine there are pretty rare find . The Latin translation is quite fitting to “comb tooth “. Very nice collection. 

One of the coolest teeth you can find.  Rare yes but just because they are tiny and easily hidden in matrix clumps.   Best place to find them is in ant hills.  

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Best place to find them is in ant hills.  

Now thats an really interesting fact. Do the ants bite?

11 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Now thats an really interesting fact. Do the ants bite?

Depends on the type of hill your on.  Red ones, fire ants,  do.

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Depends on the type of hill your on.  Red ones, fire ants,  do.

I think I would take a few hits of them there red heads to get one of them little beauties.  :D

I've taken hits for less. :blink: I think we can guess who the specific name bakkeri honors. ;)

Very cool tiny tooth. I've spent so much time picking micro-matrix that I'm developing a fondness for tiny but exquisite fossils. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to go on a hunt with a chance of finding my own Pectinodon bakkeri . :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Here are a few mine:

Same fossil just zoomed up 3 times-

IMG_4049.thumb.JPG.27733ab966dfc1125680ffaf273c2fc5.JPGIMG_4050.thumb.JPG.61a9b569d400374e522a02612fb86afc.JPGIMG_4051.thumb.JPG.b88dae409c1d27cdacfcb4ac72f55207.JPG

Crystals inside of a small Pennsylvanian brachiopod-

IMG_6751.thumb.jpg.b667035563d29da4e184bab40029b1fe.jpg

• I found this Informative 8