Moroccan Trilobite prepped sharing

Ruger9a

I just want to share some photos of a Moroccan Andalusian Trilobite I purchased about ten years ago.  It's kinda large with the actual Trilobite measuring 9.5 x 7.5 inches on the matrix.  I knew before I purchased it there had been restoration work and painting applied.  I had always wanted one of these large trilobites to add to my collection but was skeptical because of the many fakes on the market.  So, I looked for quite a while until I decided to purchase this one.   I used the "common sense" approach that if it looked reworked/faked - it most likely is.  I couldn't find what I determined to be an original complete sample on the market.  So, I decided to purchase what appeared to be the most complete (to me).  I enlarged the photos so I could see the extent of the restoration work and how much of the original trilobite remained.  I estimated about 60-75% of this trilobite looked original and wanted to see if I was correct, so I purchased it (photo#1). 

When it arrived I inspected it and removed all of the orange paint, some of the underlying brown cephalon paint (difficult to remove) and much of what looked to be plaster/filler (photo#2).   This gave me an idea of how much of the original trilobite remained, which appeared to be about 50-65%.  I detailed the remaining filler and applied several coats of wax to bring out the natural color of the trilobite (remaining photos).   I was not disappointed with my purchase because my expectations where set very low, but I was pleased with the results. 

If you look closely at the trilobite to see what looks natural and what looks restored/fake before you purchase one of these, you can find relatively complete examples (50-60%) on the market that will clean up nicely for display.  A collector can tell what's not original with a close inspection.  But, if you want one (for a reasonable price) to fill a spot in your collection and for display...…….

Before1 (2).jpg

Cleaned.JPG

After1.JPG

After3 (2).JPG

After4 (2).JPG

After2 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 8

There are no complete published specimens of Andalusiana cornuta from Morocco.  Unfortunately over many years, this incorrect info from commercial sellers has spread like a plague on the internet.  Andalusiana has a similar glabella but is characterized by bulbous structures adjacent to the frontal lobe.  Instead, this giant trilobite species is Cambropallas telesto

image.thumb.png.c04fceede907b427d4e8465b3ef7792d.png

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'm not really one for coated or polished fossils,  but I have to say I like the look of your wax job you did on this. :)

Piranha, thank you for correctly identifying this trilobite.  I really do appreciate you taking the time for respond to my posts.  You don't know how much.

Caldigger, Thanks for the kind words.  I did a lot of experimenting (it was my first) with this trilobite which is one of the reasons I purchased it.  I understand one can clearly see the brown painted areas and the filled cracks but I still think it looks acceptable as a display.  I didn't want to hide anything, just to make it look better.