Brownies Beach 1-15

hokietech96

3 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I don't think that the hastalis posted was an active tooth that fell out during feeding and leached out although that is possible.  Some sites have lots of leaching because of the chemicals in the formations and other sites don't have much at all.  The teeth at Brownies Beach really show great preservation in situ.  I think the tooth was a last row tooth that was still forming.  Last row teeth usually are only mostly hollow crowns without roots.  Sharks don't loose any teeth from back rows feeding (unless something extremely unusual caused severe jaw damage itself during feeding) because the back row teeth are folded back in the jaw and not erect like the active feeding teeth.  The reason you don't find many of these back row teeth is because the shark has to die for them to be fossilized.  Normal sharks shed thousands of active teeth during a lifetime so there are many more of them.

Below are pictures of two of my jaws, a silky and a dusky, where you can see the forming last row teeth without roots and how the back row teeth are folded back in the jaw:

Carcharhinus falciformis (Silky Shark) lower jaw 6 rows Lingual view:

5e2446f32dfe8_Carcharhinusfalciformis(SilkyShark)1lowerjawRight6rowsLingualview.thumb.jpg.db6396aec3a3c421554724190a2b6d7b.jpg

Carcharhinus obscurus (Dusky Shark) lower jaw 7 rows lingual view:

5e2447b35cfb0_Carcharhinusobscurus(DuskyShark)1lowerjawRight7rowslingualview.thumb.jpg.8ed92ba5c24d8de92801ded3ad2fa1eb.jpg

Marco Sr.

Great information and the pictures are awesome!

6 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Could the Meg I posted be from one of the middle rows where the root is partially filling the enameloid “shell”?

Your tooth could be from the next to last row.  I wouldn't normally expect damage after fossilization to remove dentine inside the tooth crown on a tooth that had a fully formed root but leave the enameloid crown shell like in your pictures.  You still have the possibility of leaching but like I said earlier the teeth in situ in the different zones at Brownies tend to show great preservation.  Also leached teeth often tend to be somewhat pasty looking.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Have been to several sites where all or almost all the shark teeth are just the enamel and hollow. Rt 90 construction in Pennsauken NJ comes to mind. Have also seen cliffs with repeating concentrations and the uppermost is leached with light colored teeth and some hollow ones while the concentration near the base was dark and completely preserved as far as roots. Green's Mill Run is a good example I think though I've never been there.  I can see how your tooth can be as Marco describes also but it is beyond my experience and limited knowledge.

• I found this Informative 1