Spinosaurus vertebra prepped

Ruger9a

Good morning.  Since it's dinosaur Friday I thought I'd share a Spinosaurus vertebra that I prepped.  The first photo is the "before".

Before.jpg

After4.jpg

After5.jpg

After3.jpg

After1.jpg

After2.jpg

After6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know how they got mixed up but the "before" photo is now number 4.  Here's the last photo.

After7.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Don't know how they got mixed up but the "before" photo is now number 4.  Here's the last photo.

Fixed. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Spinosaurus vertebra prepped

Very nice prep work. But I think that's a crocodile cervical vert, not Spinosaurid.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Very nice prep work. But I think that's a crocodile cervical vert, not Spinosaurid.

I am leaning this way as well. 

Nice prep work.  Unfortunately most of bones sold from the KK are identified as Spinosaurus.  Guess nothing else existed in that fauna.

snarge.....  Another incorrectly identified fossil (impulse) purchase.  Came with a nice identification card and a "money back" guarantee if not authentic.  I guess they were only referring to the identification card.   Prepping it was fun so I guess I got something for my money.  Thanks guys.

9 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

snarge.....  Another incorrectly identified fossil (impulse) purchase.  Came with a nice identification card and a "money back" guarantee if not authentic.  I guess they were only referring to the identification card.   Prepping it was fun so I guess I got something for my money.  Thanks guys.

Well it is still a pretty nice vertebra.

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Well it is still a pretty nice vertebra.

Yes I agree with you.  Any idea of the species this crocodile vertebrate this belongs to?  I would like to correctly identify it before displaying it again.

I'm not sure enough study has been done to say conclusively. There are a number of crocs in the Kem Kem beds. The largest being Elosuchus and Hamadasuchus after that. What's the size?

Oh, I just realized I cropped the ruler completely off the photos….  it's 6.0cm high and 6.0 x 4.0cm wide.

Hm, not too big, not too small. There's a lot of medium sized crocs in that area I think. I don't think it would be easy to put a name to that until there are more studies on this.

Thanks for your time and information.  Maybe some day a study will be completed and more information will become available.  Until then I'll just list it (correctly) as a croc vertebrate from Kem Kem Morocco.