Lyme Regis Fossil Collecting

LiamL

I've got got back from a 6 day trip with fellow forum member @DanJeavs

We've both had some brilliant finds, here are some of mine. I've made a video showing some of them.

We were lucky our trip timed perfectly with a storm which made conditions pretty good.  

Hope you enjoy.

• I found this Informative 12

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

For some reason it would not play for me, but that is probably “user error” on my part, but I did move the scroll bar and were able to see your finds. Love the little ammonite.

Must be nice to be able to pick things up off the ground without having to break your back digging for them. :envy:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

28 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Must be nice to be able to pick things up off the ground without having to break your back digging for them. :envy:

The sea is alot more powerful than any digging :D

Great video! Some really nice finds :fistbump:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Splendid result!!! That storm worked brilliantly for you! I love those big ichthy verts, i can't seem to find complete ones of that size there. You found so many bones too, it's usually quite hard to get a bone haul like that. I probably walked right over some of those when i was there last month. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

12 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Splendid result!!! That storm worked brilliantly for you! I love those big ichthy verts, i can't seem to find complete ones of that size there. You found so many bones too, it's usually quite hard to get a bone haul like that. I probably walked right over some of those when i was there last month. 

Thank you, here’s my total bone finds from 6 days over there.

Remember it’s my first time ever collecting there but i’ve got my eye in collecting more local to me.

C13EA0E2-3326-4423-A3A3-401B07EAC321.thumb.jpeg.8cf29594dfe1bd990ba9511b509cece0.jpeg

28 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Thank you, here’s my total bone finds from 6 days over there.

Remember it’s my first time ever collecting there but i’ve got my eye in collecting more local to me.

I'd say lots of people have their eye in but there usually just isn't that much bone on the beach, the storm explains a lot, very well timed indeed. 

Also what tells you that one piece was plesiosaur? In the video. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

20 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I'd say lots of people have their eye in but there usually just isn't that much bone on the beach, the storm explains a lot, very well timed indeed. 

Also what tells you that one piece was plesiosaur? In the video. 

It's either a part of a huge ichthosaur rib or a plesiosaur fragment. The cross-section doesnt look right for jaw bone. I've showed it afew of the local collectors on the beach who said it's most likely plesi. It's always hard to tell with such fragmentary remains. It's either one or the other.