Is this a stromatolite?

Rosemary

It does look very similar to some stromatolites Ive seen in the Lower Carboniferous/Mississippian here in Scotland, however I'm wondering if it could also potentially be a soft sediment deformation structure. Are stromatolite fossils known from the formation from which you collected it? Either way its a lovely piece it would look great polished.

• I found this Informative 2

Its hard to tell, it might be worth looking up any literature available on the local geology of the area you found it to see if stromatolites are present.

• I found this Informative 1

Can you get a closer view of the cut side of the rock, possibly while wet so we may see if there are more details in the swirls?  An interesting find for sure.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Ok, your second picture has convinced me that it could be a Stromatolite. I see banding, and mounding in the lighter colored areas.  I'm thinking it was a Stromatolite that lived in an area that got infrequent sediment deposits, like during a flood event, temporary change of current, or a storm.  The darker areas look like sediment that was washed over portions of the Stromatolite but other areas were left uncovered and it continued to grow and rebuild.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

It looks like stromatolith to me also.:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library