Gainesville FL trip advice

SallyB

Hi all! I'm making a sudden and quick trip to Gainesville FL and will have about a day to do some fossil hunting. I have heard about the hogtown and possum creeks and will likely visit those no matter what. But I was wondering if anyone had any advice for other places to check out. I can travel a little bit out of town but won't have access to a kayak so would need to get somewhere on foot. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and I'll post my finds after the trip!

Hi Sally, and - if I haven't already offered this - a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx. 

I've never hunted Gainesville, but have heard/read a lot about the two locations you mention.  I would offer this suggestion based on many a year in the field hunting fossils at new locations:

Do not try to overload yourself with "all the sites in the area that I MUST hit in one day".  You have ID'ed two good sites known to be productive over the years.  This means they must be continuously restored with each rain to continue to produce good results.  Each one, by itself, is worth a full day hunt.  Hitting two in a day is certainly reasonable if you want some diversity. 

I will guess that each site will leave you wanting more time to hunt that site. 

Beyond that number of sites, you will be spending more time driving to find the next site than you will be at the site hunting, esp. if this is your first time in Gainesville and you don't know the area.  Don't stress yourself out trying to "Do Gainesville" in a day.  Focus on the sites you have,  relax while hunting the site, and enjoy the experience.  You can't do it all in a day - or even in a lifetime.  So experience what you have and enjoy the moment without stressing over what you are not hunting.

Just speaking from experience.

• I found this Informative 2

Keep in mind, you will need a State of Florida Fossil Permit if you plan to get anything besides shark teeth.

I'm sure others down there can fill you in better on your needs.

I agree with Grandpa, don't try to take in the whole state in one day.  Pick one spot and have fun with it.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I believe that Gainesville Creeks are now off limits to fossil hunting and that restriction has even been applied to all creeks in Alachua County. Do a search for previous and recent posts regarding Gainesville. 

• I found this Informative 1

I did some recent research on Gainesville creeks and did find that all within city limits are definitely off limits due to damage caused by digging. 

Hi all,

Thanks for the info! Turns out the friend I'm visiting lives on a tributary of hogtown creek. From the drawing of property lines, the creek is technically on their property so it seems like we might be able to hunt for shark teeth in that part of the creek. But does anyone have experience with hunting in the Gainesville area in creeks that are on privately owned property?? Thanks!!