New Jersey Wenonah slabs (2016-2018)

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

At this point, it's been a long time since I've found any of these so I wanted to show my collection of Wenonah slabs or 'plates'. These slabs were found in the same area over the course of a few years and is a collaboration of a lot of fun trips with friends. The majority of them were found by me and my brother, Shane @shajzer64  in  2016 but a few others have dug with me in this (mostly unproductive) location looking for and finding these - thank you to everyone involved!

The slabs are all the same thickness and preservation; I was actually able to put a few together but as a whole, I think most were in the stream for too long to connect them. They are mostly shell and gastropod imprints but include ghost shrimp burrows, an Ischyrhiza rostral, shark teeth, an echinoid, an ammonite, a fish spine (we think), scaphopods, and more. I'm not positive the sponges are associated with this exact project but the preservation looks the same so I included them too (that could go for the ammonite too). If anyone is interested in seeing a particular slab, let me know and I'll get a picture.

I'm pretty happy with my new display so I hope you enjoy it!

-Frank

@Carl @non-remanié @Darktooth@Jeffrey P@Trevor@The Jersey Devil

wenonah1best.jpg

wenonah13.jpg

wenonah16.jpg

wenonah11.jpg

wenonah14.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Very cool, Frank!

When people talk about New Jersey fossils, this isn't what comes to mind. :) 

Thanks for showing these!

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome slabs Frank! 
I would like to see some closeups of the fish spine, sponges, and any rare gastros and bivalves.

Aren’t the Scaphopods actually Hamulus?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I love plates, and these are some nice ones! Thanks for sharing. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very nice. I've got a couple pieces of Callianassa burrows that someone suggested were from NJ (I had no location data), so I do think of this kind of stuff when I think of NJ fossils!

Is the thing to the right of the ammonite an echinoid?

I'd like to see closeups of any possible sponges.

Wow, wow, and wow! That has to be one of the largest collections of Wenonah mollusks there is. And many of them are rare. Truly awesome! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Awesome slabs Frank! 
I would like to see some closeups of the fish spine, sponges, and any rare gastros and bivalves.

Aren’t the Scaphopods actually Hamulus?

I'll take your word on Hamulus! 

Here is the potential fish spine (there is a nice vert right next to it too). Let me know what you think about that ID.

20200118_075127.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow, wow, and wow! That has to be one of the largest collections of Wenonah mollusks there is. And many of them are rare. Truly awesome! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jeff! As you'd expect, some friends of ours have thoroughly examined these and as far as the Wenonah goes, these do appear to be kind of unique!

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Very nice. I've got a couple pieces of Callianassa burrows that someone suggested were from NJ (I had no location data), so I do think of this kind of stuff when I think of NJ fossils!

Is the thing to the right of the ammonite an echinoid?

I'd like to see closeups of any possible sponges.

Thank you and yes, that's an echinoid (here is a close-up). We dont find that many at all from the Wenonah so it's one of my favorite fossils! 

I'll get a scan of the potential sponges too.

20200118_075246.jpg

Wow, those are some impressive slabs for sure. Congrats on exploring a (much) lesser known facet of the Wenonah formation.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Wow, those are some impressive slabs for sure. Congrats on exploring a (much) lesser known facet of the Wenonah formation.

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your last trip!

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

I'll take your word on Hamulus! 

Here is the potential fish spine (there is a nice vert right next to it too). Let me know what you think about that ID.

20200118_075127.jpg

The fish vert is above the potential spine and to the right of the hole right?

I’m not sure what it is. Fish spines I’ve found are micros (like 4-6 mm). Are there any bumps along any visible edges? There also seems to be matrix filling it up.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Wow! Those look just like the unidentified sponges in the MAPS collection. Could we see the other side?

These definitely look like sponges to me. The back side especially shows the structure.

Thanks Frank! Fossilhunting in New Jersery is like opening a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.:D

@Darktooth Here they are :)

20200119_082517.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

31 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Frank! Fossilhunting in New Jersery is like opening a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.:D

That’s @njfossilhunter ‘s signature!