New Jersey Wenonah slabs (2016-2018)

frankh8147

43 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Frank! Fossilhunting in New Jersery is like opening a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.:D

11 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

That’s @njfossilhunter ‘s signature!

Hey now, that's official  'New Jersey Lungfish Club' business haha! But yeah, I always liked that signature! Any scoop can get your name in history! I love this hobby :)

On 1/17/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ruger9a said:

I'm impressed.  You must be a puzzle master as well as a collector.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Actually this is the first puzzle I've done in 20 years haha! 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ruger9a said:

I'm impressed.  You must be a puzzle master as well as a collector.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I actually this is the first puzzle I've done in 20 years haha! 

My favorite story about that, Dave Parris at the NJSM, saw a Cretaceous turtle bone and realized it was the other half of a partial turtle bone which was found a hundred years ago - crazy!

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Thank you! I actually this is the first puzzle I've done in 20 years haha! 

My favorite story about that, Dave Parris at the NJSM, saw a Cretaceous turtle bone and realized it was the other half of a partial turtle bone which was found a hundred years ago - crazy!

Yeah that’s incredible. But I doubt both pieces were in the stream throughout the 160 years. The other piece simply hadn’t eroded out of the formation yet; that would make sense because of its large size.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

On 1/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

Yeah that’s incredible. But I doubt both pieces were in the stream throughout the 160 years. The other piece simply hadn’t eroded out of the formation yet; that would make sense because of its large size.

Most likely! Bone in those streams gets chewed up looking really quick so that makes sense.

54 minutes ago, Petebeh said:

These are very cool! Thanks for posting! Do you do anything to stabilize these slabs? 

A lot of Wenonah hard matrix is pretty stable, but it is always good to stabilize it using the standard NJ Elmers-water solution.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

5 hours ago, Carl said:

This is TRULY incredible stuff here, Frank! Wow... Thanks for sharing. Has Ralph seen all of this? He'll LOVE it!

Thanks Carl and absolutely! Ralph went to my house to examine them all. It actually took hours as those slabs are double-sided!

• I found this Informative 2

Some if it looks like the weathered orange layer at the top of some sections and others look like oxidized sections from the siderite layer in the Wenonah. The big black sections had whitish or light gray siderite lentils and nodules in them but they rusted with exposure. Thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, Plax said:

Some if it looks like the weathered orange layer at the top of some sections and others look like oxidized sections from the siderite layer in the Wenonah. The big black sections had whitish or light gray siderite lentils and nodules in them but they rusted with exposure. Thanks for posting!

Thanks!

The stratigraphy of the areas I frequently dig in is being debated by folks a lot more knowledgable than me but at least we know these are all Wenonah!

We were definitely pleasantly surprised with these plates!

20 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Thanks!

The stratigraphy of the areas I frequently dig in is being debated by folks a lot more knowledgable than me but at least we know these are all Wenonah!

We were definitely pleasantly surprised with these plates!

those mica flakes help

On 1/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, Plax said:

those mica flakes help

Its probably more that plates like these are pretty easy to trace the source of and are known from a couple spots in particular.   Yes, it's Wenonah, but there's at least one worker who I think would even dispute that finding.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

On 1/25/2020 at 3:52 PM, non-remanié said:

Its probably more that plates like these are pretty easy to trace the source of and are known from a couple spots in particular.   Yes, it's Wenonah, but there's at least one worker who I think would even dispute that finding.  

As far as the mica flakes I was referring to those ignorant of the source. Are we talking about the Mt Laurel designation for the Wenonah at BigBrook?

A couple of related publications are,

Martino, R.L. and Curran, H.A., 1990. Sedimentology, 

ichnology, and paleoenvironments of the Upper 

Cretaceous Wenonah and Mt. Laurel Formations, New 

Jersey. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 60(1), pp.125-144.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ronald_Martino/publication/291343086_Sedimentology_ichnology_and_paleoenvironments_of_the_Wenonah_and_Mt_Laurel_Formations_New_Jersey/links/56a0ef6408ae4af5254d099e/Sedimentology-ichnology-and-paleoenvironments-of-the-Wenonah-and-Mt-Laurel-Formations-New-Jersey.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ronald_Martino

Richards, H.G., 1958. The Cretaceous fossils of New Jersey: 

New Jersey Geol. Survey Bulletin, 64.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-I.pdf

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-II.pdf

Yours,

Paul H.

11 hours ago, Plax said:

As far as the mica flakes I was referring to those ignorant of the source. Are we talking about the Mt Laurel designation for the Wenonah at BigBrook?

Within Big Brook and nearby sites there is significant mica contained in beds that people refer to other formations as well.  I generally agree with your mica comment but its not quite entirely accurate. For those ignorant of the source, I would recommend a variety of indicators rather than just the mica alone to determine the source bed, then comes the determination of what formation the source bed actually is.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

1 hour ago, non-remanié said:

Within Big Brook and nearby sites there is significant mica contained in beds that people refer to other formations as well.  I generally agree with your mica comment but its not quite entirely accurate. For those ignorant of the source, I would recommend a variety of indicators rather than just the mica alone to determine the source bed, then comes the determination of what formation the source bed actually is.  

I guess an example of error using mica to locate Wenonah would be the basal Navesink lag that also contains some mica flakes, but in much lower concentrations.

I was referring to the pictured slabs and didn't mean to use mica alone. I'm not going to look it up but "micaceous" is probably in the description of the Wenonah. It reminds me of the Woodbury in that respect.

@non-remanié @Plax

What indicators do you recommend using other than mineral content to determine the formation?

18 hours ago, Plax said:

google "Wenonah Formation" or if you have Richards' Cretaceous of New Jersey check that out.

I’ve done that before. It’s just that sometimes those general descriptions don’t match what you see or some of those features are obscure