Duppa

Hi all, 

I found this just down stream of my last find and it has a strange layer / seam through it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the ancient volcanic activity in the area? Maybe it had a larger of ash over it then began growing again. Thoughts? Cheers 

IMG_20200118_112404.jpg

24 minutes ago, Duppa said:

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the ancient volcanic activity in the area?

The silica that permeates wood is often from volcanic ash. This could be wood. I doubt this an ash layer in petrified wood though. 

Hi Rockwood, 

Thank you for the prompt response.

You didn't seem overly convinced it is petrified wood, I don't blame you as it's a lot harder looking at a photograph. 

I'll post another angle where you can see the grain alot clearer. It's quite a thick layer that would have had to be there some years before new layers grew over (that's if that's what it even is) 

IMG_20200118_152315.jpg

6 minutes ago, Duppa said:

It's quite a thick layer that would have had to be there some years before new layers grew over (that's if that's what it even is) 

I have seen trees live for several years with dead wood exposed at the surface. All the while marveling at it's tenacity and contemplating the need to cut it for safety reasons. It's hard for me to imagine a layer of stone forming over such a tree though.

Maybe it represents the water table or a similar occurrence in the depositional environment ?  I agree that it looks like petrified wood.

There are massive coal deposits all over the area. Maybe this could have happened the same time the coal was encapsulated in the ground? This particular specimen could have been on higher ground and continued growing for some time maybe?